3 section fermentation chamber with ebay temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryfine

Reaction score
This is my first post. I'd like to say that this forum helped me a ton when doing this project. I have one temperature controller hooked up the compressor set for cold storage of kegs and then the two other controllers are wired to power outlets for heating and cooling. I'm using computer fans to pull the cold air from the freezer to the other chambers and using space heaters for the heat.

I still have a few small details to finish, but I have the lower left chamber finished and currently have a carboy of water in it for testing prior to my brew day tomorrow.

Initial design:

385613_3750528960524_1195371584_3679448_2081125645_n.jpg

Pile of supplies:

536033_3750529600540_1195371584_3679450_347732053_n.jpg

Collar built:

564899_3750530120553_1195371584_3679452_2036593208_n.jpg

Frame built:

374055_3750531200580_1195371584_3679458_1051474451_n.jpg

Skinned and insulated:

554477_3750535120678_1195371584_3679473_768924110_n.jpg

Top interior. Fans are attached to a temperature controller to pull cold air up from the freezer.

523067_3750542160854_1195371584_3679495_1355536558_n.jpg

First test. The top right is attached to the heater and temperature controlled and the top left is attached to fans to pull cold air from the freezer.

374124_3750540760819_1195371584_3679489_1803319922_n.jpg

Close up of the fans:

380650_3750539800795_1195371584_3679487_1011913447_n.jpg

The three temperature controllers:

560419_3750947530988_1195371584_3679790_51709586_n.jpg

Close up of the three temperature controllers:

564691_3750541600840_1195371584_3679492_977359079_n.jpg

Detail inside the freezer. There is a fan on the bottom of the tube as well.

530293_3750542600865_1195371584_3679497_711050068_n.jpg

keep going. I want to do this with my icebox . ferment on 1 side . keep beer cold on other side

Here is a pic of it all sealed up:

sOJJIh.jpg

And one with my first brew in it! This is an Orange IPA using vienna, honey, and caramel malts, sweet orange peels, warrior hops for bittering, and citra and centennial for flavor and aroma.

fldkOh.jpg

Looks great. I'd recommend though to raise the floor of the chamber to the left of the freezer though to minimize dead space, to allow for easier temp control (unless of course you have larger fermentation vessels than your carboy pictured). It looks like you have close to 2' of clearance above the carboy cap and your freezer is really going to need to work just to maintain that chamber, let alone the other 2 simultaneously if there is that much extra space in each.

Just my $0.02!

:mug:

Looks great. I'd recommend though to raise the floor of the chamber to the left of the freezer though to minimize dead space, to allow for easier temp control (unless of course you have larger fermentation vessels than your carboy pictured). It looks like you have close to 2' of clearance above the carboy cap and your freezer is really going to need to work just to maintain that chamber, let alone the other 2 simultaneously if there is that much extra space in each.

Just my $0.02!

:mug:

Or just go buy a conical or two now, they should fit in there! ;)

Or just go buy a conical or two now, they should fit in there! ;)

That is the plan eventually. That shelf above the carboy is actually built to be easily removed so I can eventually make is a tall chamber with a 30 gallon plastic conical.

I did learn something today. The side of the freezer actually gets hot when it's running which was making it tough to maintain cool temps on a hot day like today. I insulated it some today and plan to add some more to it tomorrow. I also added metal tubes to the fans so that they can pull from the air at the bottom of the freezer. Will likely add fans to the bottom too for more power.

It was 90 degrees here Monday and it exposed some weaknesses in my system that I'm working on fixing. *Monday the beer got up to 70, which isn't the end of the world, but it couldn't get it down to 67 where I wanted it. *It was only that high for a few hours though so I'm sure it's fine. *

I realized that I had placed the temperature probe for the freezer section too high so the compressor was running constantly, even though the bottom of the freezer was below freezing and I was aiming for 40 degrees in that section. *This made the outside of the freezer very hot and this heat was getting inside chamber. *I have since adjusted the temp probe so the compressor runs properly and insulated the entire chamber better. *I also added more weather stripping and tubes to the fans so that they are pulling the cold air from the bottom of the freezer section. *

I also ordered a few more fans that will be attached to the same switch at the compressor to help pull the heat away from the body of the body of the freezer in the back.

Here are some pics. *I ran out of reflective insulation so there are still a couple spots I need to patch up.

380606_3796498709739_1195371584_3697764_1659351876_n.jpg

526726_3796499509759_1195371584_3697765_1096856092_n.jpg

546529_3796501029797_1195371584_3697768_2059970461_n.jpg

149345_3796501989821_1195371584_3697769_1992172930_n.jpg

What are your plans for the freezer itself and the upper area? Are you going to have kegs in the freezer with taps and they store bottles in the area above?

What are your plans for the freezer itself and the upper area? Are you going to have kegs in the freezer with taps and they store bottles in the area above?

The freezer section will be for cold storage of kegs. I can fit two corny kegs in there and eventually plan to add taps to the side that has the temperature controllers. Since it's set to 40 degrees it would also be useful as a lagering chamber.

The top section will just be another fermentation chamber. That way I can do two different types of beer with different temperature needs. That way I can adjust to the specific temp of the carboy too instead of just for the ambient temperature.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm planning to get a 30 gallon conical that will take up the entire left side, but it will be a few more months as I have a couple other projects I want to complete first.

Just a thought... The skin of the freezer needs to be able to cool down, so if you wrap it up with insulation, you may be asking for problems. You may be able to just add a small air chamber between the freezer wall and your insulation though and use a fan to exhaust the heat. I would think that should be sufficient enough to get the heat away from it.

Oh, and by the way. I don't think you need a fan on both sides of your tubes. At that rate, you're sucking the cool air out of the freezer faster than it can make it.

Just a thought... The skin of the freezer needs to be able to cool down, so if you wrap it up with insulation, you may be asking for problems. You may be able to just add a small air chamber between the freezer wall and your insulation though and use a fan to exhaust the heat. I would think that should be sufficient enough to get the heat away from it.

Yeah, I figured that out the other day. That back has about 9 inches of space for air flow and there is about 2 inches on the side with the controllers. I'm going to add a few fans to pull out of there when the compressor is running. Would it be a good idea to have at least one fan blowing into that area as well?

I've been thinking the extra fans might be over kill too. I think the biggest issue with the left section was that the freezer skin was exposed to that chamber. Now that it is insulated there I think the fan already installed should do the trick.

I don't think you necessarily need an input and output fan so long as there's at least someplace for air to enter if your fan is exhausting, or exit if your fan is sucking cool air in.
Ideals you should have one or the other on the top so that the heat doesn't just rise and get stuck there.

I don't think you necessarily need an input and output fan so long as there's at least someplace for air to enter if your fan is exhausting, or exit if your fan is sucking cool air in.
Ideals you should have one or the other on the top so that the heat doesn't just rise and get stuck there.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably get the fans wired up and installed tomorrow. I'll be sure to update the thread when it's complete.

It's not clear to me how those fans are set up. You want to circulate that cold air. Pull cold air from the bottom of the fridge, push it to the bottom of the chamber you wish to cool, and pull (or let it be pushed out) the warmer air from the top of the chamber you wish to cool. If you don't do it that way, you are fighting yourself.

I can't tell, but it looks like you are just pushing cold air into the chambers w/o any path for the warm air to circulate back out? Maybe I don't understand the paths there, or which way the fans are going.

-kenc

It's not clear to me how those fans are set up. You want to circulate that cold air. Pull cold air from the bottom of the fridge, push it to the bottom of the chamber you wish to cool, and pull (or let it be pushed out) the warmer air from the top of the chamber you wish to cool. If you don't do it that way, you are fighting yourself.

I can't tell, but it looks like you are just pushing cold air into the chambers w/o any path for the warm air to circulate back out? Maybe I don't understand the paths there, or which way the fans are going.

-kenc

I appreciate your input, but my thinking is a bit different. I'm bringing cool air to the upper part of the chambers where the warmest air will be located. The cool air will then drop to the bottom and warmer air will move to the top to be cooled by the fans again. There should be air movement within each individual chamber due to natural convection. That is why the tube into the top section is not flush with the surface. I was trying to get the cool air to the top so it can cool the warm air.

I think I have it dialed it in pretty well now. I just have to wait for another really hot day to be sure.

I appreciate your input, but my thinking is a bit different. I'm bringing cool air to the upper part of the chambers where the warmest air will be located. The cool air will then drop to the bottom and warmer air will move to the top to be cooled by the fans again. There should be air movement within each individual chamber due to natural convection. That is why the tube into the top section is not flush with the surface. I was trying to get the cool air to the top so it can cool the warm air.

I think I have it dialed it in pretty well now. I just have to wait for another really hot day to be sure.

Well, I'm not certain it makes a lot of difference as to the cold air being injected into the bottom or the top, as the fan should get it all displaced pretty quickly anyhow. But the bigger point I was trying to make was, where is the actual circulation?

I'm just not seeing where the full cycle of air in and air out is for the chamber. Maybe I'm just missing it, but it seems like you are pushing air in - but then what? You really want a full return path - in on one end (top or bottom), out on the opposite end.

-kenc

Well, I'm not certain it makes a lot of difference as to the cold air being injected into the bottom or the top, as the fan should get it all displaced pretty quickly anyhow. But the bigger point I was trying to make was, where is the actual circulation?

I'm just not seeing where the full cycle of air in and air out is for the chamber. Maybe I'm just missing it, but it seems like you are pushing air in - but then what? You really want a full return path - in on one end (top or bottom), out on the opposite end.

-kenc

The only circulation I have is from the natural convection of cool air falling and warm air rising. If I have issues down the road I'll consider adjusting my design, but it appears to be working so far. I've looked at a number of different fermentation chamber builds and didn't really notice anyone doing what you're talking about.

The only circulation I have is from the natural convection of cool air falling and warm air rising. If I have issues down the road I'll consider adjusting my design, but it appears to be working so far. I've looked at a number of different fermentation chamber builds and didn't really notice anyone doing what you're talking about.

Every one I've seen has circulation paths. They might not be obvious, but they are there.

Yes, natural convection will move the air around inside the chamber, that's not the issue. What you want to accomplish is to move the cold air from the fridge over to the chamber and return the warm air from the chamber back to the fridge. You need an in and an out path to accomplish this. It's a bit like putting your mouth on a plastic soda bottle and trying to blow into it - w/o a path for the air to escape, you don't really get any air movement. But put a hole in the other end, and the air moves right through.

It might be working because you get some initial movement and air flowing through leaks and some back through the fan once the pressures equalize. But I bet it runs out of 'gas' when it's more fully loaded, or the fridge might be called on to run too much (probably not, I just don't think you'll get enough air drawn away from the fridge).

Here's a thread with links to a classic design, the baffles, fan on one side, and port on the other provide the 'flow through' circulation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/son-fermentation-chiller-97600/#post1067070

Here's a simple approach - remove (or reverse) one of those two fans. Then add the tubing from that fan (or hole) to go down to the bottom of the chamber. That will force air movement through the chamber and back to the fridge. I really do think your results will be rather marginal w/o full circulation. It looks like a really nice build, I'd just like to see you get the most out of it.

-kenc

Every one I've seen has circulation paths. They might not be obvious, but they are there.

Yes, natural convection will move the air around inside the chamber, that's not the issue. What you want to accomplish is to move the cold air from the fridge over to the chamber and return the warm air from the chamber back to the fridge. You need an in and an out path to accomplish this. It's a bit like putting your mouth on a plastic soda bottle and trying to blow into it - w/o a path for the air to escape, you don't really get any air movement. But put a hole in the other end, and the air moves right through.

It might be working because you get some initial movement and air flowing through leaks and some back through the fan once the pressures equalize. But I bet it runs out of 'gas' when it's more fully loaded, or the fridge might be called on to run too much (probably not, I just don't think you'll get enough air drawn away from the fridge).

Here's a thread with links to a classic design, the baffles, fan on one side, and port on the other provide the 'flow through' circulation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/son-fermentation-chiller-97600/#post1067070

Here's a simple approach - remove (or reverse) one of those two fans. Then add the tubing from that fan (or hole) to go down to the bottom of the chamber. That will force air movement through the chamber and back to the fridge. I really do think your results will be rather marginal w/o full circulation. It looks like a really nice build, I'd just like to see you get the most out of it.

-kenc

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely consider it. I understand you're saying about circulation, but there is one thing I don't understand, though. Why would I want to pull the air from the bottom of the chamber? That should be the coolest air in the chamber. If anything I'd think I'd want to pull the warmer air from the top out.

The only circulation I have is from the natural convection of cool air falling and warm air rising.

Why would I want to pull the air from the bottom of the chamber?

That will give you the greatest convection and cooling power. Right now you're wasting energy, because the coolest air just sits at the bottom of the freezer, never moving since warmer air (from the top) is getting pulled, pushed to the top, and then falling through relatively warmer air back to the freezer. That's a bit of a simplification/exaggeration, but it seems pretty intuitive that to get the fullest flow of air, you want the stuff at the bottom of the freezer to get pulled to the top of the chamber.

That will give you the greatest convection and cooling power. Right now you're wasting energy, because the coolest air just sits at the bottom of the freezer, never moving since warmer air (from the top) is getting pulled, pushed to the top, and then falling through relatively warmer air back to the freezer. That's a bit of a simplification/exaggeration, but it seems pretty intuitive that to get the fullest flow of air, you want the stuff at the bottom of the freezer to get pulled to the top of the chamber.

I understand pulling the cold air to the top of the chamber, but he's suggesting pulling out the cold air from the bottom and putting it back into the freezer section. That sounds counter intuitive to me.

What he's suggesting is that you need a path for air to flow. When you push air into a chamber, you need somewhere for that air to go, or or it's like putting air in a tire. You're just creating air pressure which is most likely just pushing your cold air out of every crack that it can find. Convection alone is almost non-existent in your chambers unless your fans aren't running, also. The fans mix everything up quite well on their own, so nothing is really settling.

Ideally, you want to be able to push cold air in while giving a path for the warmer air to go back to the freezer to re-chill.

What he's suggesting is that you need a path for air to flow. When you push air into a chamber, you need somewhere for that air to go, or or it's like putting air in a tire. You're just creating air pressure which is most likely just pushing your cold air out of every crack that it can find. Convection alone is almost non-existent in your chambers unless your fans aren't running, also. The fans mix everything up quite well on their own, so nothing is really settling.

Ideally, you want to be able to push cold air in while giving a path for the warmer air to go back to the freezer to re-chill.

Yeah, I understand that, I was just confused why he thought I should I remove the air from the bottom of the chamber instead of from the top. I could easily just change the direction of one of the fans for the left section to get the kind of air flow you're talking about. His suggestion would require me to add a tube the left the section which would take up valuable real estate.

If both of your fans in the left section are blowing cold air in. I would definitely change the direction of one of them. You may also want to consider adding a tube on the freezer side of the fan blowing in the chamber that goes to the bottom of the freezer and sucks the cold air from there and see if that performs any better also.

As for the tube in the left section, you could probably do without it since the fan blowing in there is going to be enough to stir up any stratification that may exist.

If both of your fans in the left section are blowing cold air in. I would definitely change the direction of one of them. You may also want to consider adding a tube on the freezer side of the fan blowing in the chamber that goes to the bottom of the freezer and sucks the cold air from there and see if that performs any better also.

As for the tube in the left section, you could probably do without it since the fan blowing in there is going to be enough to stir up any stratification that may exist.

I already have tubes attached to the fans on the freezer section for both of those fans. I added those earlier this week and it really helped a lot.

I would just turn a fan around then, and take the tube off the freezer side of the one you turn around.
That should cool that chamber down a lot faster and make the whole system more efficient.

I would just turn a fan around then, and take the tube off the freezer side of the one you turn around.
That should cool that chamber down a lot faster and make the whole system more efficient.

That's the kind of fix I like. Nice and easy. Unfortunately, trying to add circulation to the top chamber may prove to be more difficult. It would also take up space that I really don't want to give up. I think I'm going to see how it performs on a really hot day before I make any changes to the top chamber.

for the top chamber, you could try just putting another hole over your freezer. It's not ideal since the cold air will essentially settle and fall through it once the fan stops running. For this reason you probably wouldn't want it much bigger that your fan hole either. But it should work.

The real test will not only be a hot day, but when you have multiple beers in there bubbling away in primary fermentation. Those tend to heat up a chamber more than you'd think!

for the top chamber, you could try just putting another hole over your freezer. It's not ideal since the cold air will essentially settle and fall through it once the fan stops running. For this reason you probably wouldn't want it much bigger that your fan hole either. But it should work.

The real test will not only be a hot day, but when you have multiple beers in there bubbling away in primary fermentation. Those tend to heat up a chamber more than you'd think!

Yeah, I really don't want to just put a hole in there. If anything, I'd put in a tube to the top of the chamber with a fan blowing down, but it would take up a lot of space. Eventually the top chamber is just going to be the size of the freezer so space there is going to become pretty tight at that point.

As it is, the hole for the tube that comes up into the chamber isn't air tight, so there is at least some space for the air to escape back into the freezer so it won't become pressurized.

That's the kind of fix I like. Nice and easy.

Right, that's all it should take. The main thing is air in = air out.

As far as dumping the cold air into the bottom and drawing warm from the top of the chamber, I do think that is ideal (but maybe not a big difference in practice). Think of it this way:

You want to replace the warm air with the cold air as efficiently as possible, right? Think of a glass half full of oil, which is lighter than water. I tell you I want you to pour water into the glass and replace the most amount of oil while using the least amount of water. If you sprinkle the water in from the top, it's going to mix as you pour, and even as it fills and spills out the top, water and oil will keep mixing. It will take a lot of water to get that last bit of oil out.

Now you try it again with a funnel attached to a tube that goes to the bottom of the glass of oil. As you pour the water in, it goes right to the bottom and the oil just lifts up. There is very little mixing, and as the glass fills, the oil spills out the top, and you can stop just as the water reaches the top. Efficient.

Unfortunately, trying to add circulation to the top chamber may prove to be more difficult. ...

As it is, the hole for the tube that comes up into the chamber isn't air tight, so there is at least some space for the air to escape back into the freezer so it won't become pressurized.

I bet that's all it takes. The top chamber has to stay warmer than the fridge (by definition). Warm air rises, it will all stratify when the fans are off, so it should all be good.

-kenc

Right, that's all it should take. The main thing is air in = air out.

As far as dumping the cold air into the bottom and drawing warm from the top of the chamber, I do think that is ideal (but maybe not a big difference in practice). Think of it this way:

You want to replace the warm air with the cold air as efficiently as possible, right? Think of a glass half full of oil, which is lighter than water. I tell you I want you to pour water into the glass and replace the most amount of oil while using the least amount of water. If you sprinkle the water in from the top, it's going to mix as you pour, and even as it fills and spills out the top, water and oil will keep mixing. It will take a lot of water to get that last bit of oil out.

Now you try it again with a funnel attached to a tube that goes to the bottom of the glass of oil. As you pour the water in, it goes right to the bottom and the oil just lifts up. There is very little mixing, and as the glass fills, the oil spills out the top, and you can stop just as the water reaches the top. Efficient.

I bet that's all it takes. The top chamber has to stay warmer than the fridge (by definition). Warm air rises, it will all stratify when the fans are off, so it should all be good.

-kenc

Yeah, that makes sense. I thought you were saying to have it pull the air from the bottom back into the freezer which is why I was confused. The other way definitely makes sense. Thanks again for your input.

Sometimes I love this site......Sometimes I hate it...................

This is an awesome build. Just saying....I'm probably going to steal this idea, only with a few changes, and only if I can pass it with SWMBO. But I'll try to pass it off that my Lagering,, Keggerator, Fermentation, and beer bottle storage can be done in one spot.

Good job thinking this up, which I could have thought of this before I built all the other tools already.

Sometimes I love this site......Sometimes I hate it...................

This is an awesome build. Just saying....I'm probably going to steal this idea, only with a few changes, and only if I can pass it with SWMBO. But I'll try to pass it off that my Lagering,, Keggerator, Fermentation, and beer bottle storage can be done in one spot.

Good job thinking this up, which I could have thought of this before I built all the other tools already.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out too. Good luck convincing SWMBO!

any news on how this build is doing, now that we've had some really hot weather, and maybe you've had the chance to ferment in there?

any news on how this build is doing, now that we've had some really hot weather, and maybe you've had the chance to ferment in there?

I've fermented quite a few beers in the chamber now and have learned a lot in the process. The quality of my beers have improved dramatically since I started using this chamber. Fermentation temperature control really is one of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your beer.

The first thing I learned is that it was a mistake to put a skin on the freezer section. I ended up leaving the back off and cut out the right side skin to let it breathe. When I designed it, I didn't realize that the walls of the freezer were used to expel heat. It does do a good job of maintaining steady fermentation temperatures, but it was struggling some during a stretch of 100 degree days since it's located in a detached garage with no insulation. As long as the weather is not hotter than 85-90 degrees it does great, but any higher than that and the compressor is constantly running just to maintain about 70 degrees inside.

I was concerned that I would burn out the compressor if it continued to run 24/7 so I decided that I would shut it down until September.

I then built a second fermentation that can fit in the basement. This one can hold up to 3 carboys and has done a great job so far on it's first brew. I was able to put this one together in two days. One afternoon to put together the controller and another to build the chamber itself. Here are some pics of this build:

559203_4368164441025_1681782938_n.jpg

555777_4368165001039_389437798_n.jpg

403894_4368165881061_35351892_n.jpg

165882_4368168241120_332980048_n.jpg

The cord dangling in this pic is attached to a ac/dc power supply and I hooked it up to a computer fan that I attached inside in the cold unit in the dorm fridge.

I built a stand-alone temperature control unit for this one. Instead of using power outlets, I attached the cold and hot relays to extension cord ends with 3 outlets. This allowed me to keep the box small and I really like the clean look.

306592_4368169121142_1510872733_n.jpg

529443_4368170281171_2131038787_n.jpg

Here is a pic of a white ipa bubbling happily in it's chamber:

483171_4369732800233_1608483750_n.jpg

So is it safe to say that the first build was a failure? The idea of a chamber being you should be able to ferment through the hottest parts of the year, and it could not keep up...I guess that would be my conclusion. i

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but its more of a warning to those who are planning to do these types of builds...First, I don't thinking DIY ferm chambers save you much (if any) money when you take into account labor and time as compared to finding a used chest freezer off Craigslist. Second, I'd be concerned if after all the time/money spent building doesn't actually result in a workable build!

Alot of these types of builds get posted up on this site, and then we don't hear anything more about regarding their performance. My feeling is that many/most are scrapped about 4-5 months after building. I could be wrong though. I think the key is to have a frig/freezer unit capable of producing the cooling for the increased space (which then brings you back around to the original question of why you didn't go with a cheap chest freezer in the first place).

As for the second build, it looks like you learned some things and have a better design. But I do have you ask, where you really able to build that cheaper than what you could have gotten a used chest freezer for? You basically build a homemade 7cf chest freezer.

Again, apologies for being so critical...just trying to give some food-for-thought to the next person. Personally, I've debated these types of builds over and over (even have a small dorm fridge waiting in the wings) and seem to come to the same conclusions about it.

broadbill said:
So is it safe to say that the first build was a failure? The idea of a chamber being you should be able to ferment through the hottest parts of the year, and it could not keep up...I guess that would be my conclusion. i

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but its more of a warning to those who are planning to do these types of builds...First, I don't thinking DIY ferm chambers save you much (if any) money when you take into account labor and time as compared to finding a used chest freezer off Craigslist. Second, I'd be concerned if after all the time/money spent building doesn't actually result in a workable build!

Alot of these types of builds get posted up on this site, and then we don't hear anything more about regarding their performance. My feeling is that many/most are scrapped about 4-5 months after building. I could be wrong though. I think the key is to have a frig/freezer unit capable of producing the cooling for the increased space (which then brings you back around to the original question of why you didn't go with a cheap chest freezer in the first place).

As for the second build, it looks like you learned some things and have a better design. But I do have you ask, where you really able to build that cheaper than what you could have gotten a used chest freezer for? You basically build a homemade 7cf chest freezer.

Again, apologies for being so critical...just trying to give some food-for-thought to the next person. Personally, I've debated these types of builds over and over (even have a small dorm fridge waiting in the wings) and seem to come to the same conclusions about it.

I have to agree for the most part with this statement. I too have seen a number of threads that fail to get updated once the chamber is complete and I have also concluded that it's because it failed to work properly. I have only seen one or two where the builder was able to admit failure. The common theme that I have seen is that people are trying to increase the cooling area way too much. It looks like the total area between the different compartments is at least 4x larger that the original freezer. I too have gone down this path but I only made my chamber 2x larger than the original mini fridge I started with and I have not had any problems with it so far. For those of you out there that are considering something like this take in mind that if the compressor in your mini fridge or freezer could cool an area 4x the size of the original device then they would have built it with a smaller compressor to save money. You just can't increase the size that much.

No, this was project was definitely not a failure. If it was located in a basement or anywhere that was even somewhat temperature controlled it would be have been perfect. It did work even on the hottest days, but I didn't feel comfortable with the compressor running 24/7 so I shut it down for the summer. This chamber will still give me a huge amount of space for fermentation for 10 months out of the year. I'm usually busy in the summer so I don't need as much fermentation capacity over those months anyway.

This project was a ton of fun and I learned a bunch. I didn't start building brewing equipment because I wanted to do something the cheapest or easiest way. I came up with a concept and put it together and I'm happy with the results. If I were to build another one, i would get a larger chest freezer and then build the chamber just on top of it so that all of the wall of the freezer were uncovered. The reason I used the freezer I did, was because it was sitting in my basement gathering dust.

The second chamber I built for about $100 total. I had the dorm fridge sitting in my basement and had some left over lumber sitting around. It was a quick and easy build and I will probably end up building more for a few friends of mine.

I apologize, but it sounds to me that you are just looking or excuses to not start your fermentation chamber build. I would encourage you to try the second design I put together. It was cheap and quick and easy.

Back