Watermelon Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issack

Reaction score
my 7 1/2 gal batch of watermelon mead is almost done clarifying. and the taste results are a total HIT.! This is a awesome tasting mead.

I started out with just honey and water. 18 pounds of Christmas berry local honey from the island. (I don't add heat to my honey ever) mixed up a 8 gal batch and threw it in a conical and used 2 packs Lavin D47 yeast.. yeast nutrient, and half pound of Dry malt for added nutrient.

It fermented for about 8 days and then i let that sit for a month. Then i added one gallon of just fresh watermelon juice that i strained from a whole large watermelon. The fermentation kicked up a bit and i let that go for another month.

The end result of that was some tannins and a kind of bitter after taste.( still with a strong melon aroma ) I then decided that it was too dry. this mead needed to have some sweetness to it. So i added 4 pounds of honey to it and let it sit 2 weeks then added Bentonite Clay to stop fermentation and clarify.

I'm drinking some out of the fermenter now and it is seriously nice tasting.. no more tannins after adding some sweetness to it. this is what it needed.

I recommend trying a watermelon mead if you have not done so already. YUM.!

Here's a question for you.

Let's say that I want to start this on a much smaller scale. Say in a 2gal fermenter. How much of each ingredient would I need?

I'm no pro and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but for a gallon I would try 3 lbs Honey, a yeast starter, and water. Let that ferment until the bubbles quit and give it a few days, then add about 16-20 oz of juiced watermelon for a secondary.

Back