Critique this Brown Ale - Getting ingredients tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
Ok, I think I finally settled on my next beer. Please comment on the below recipe.

Mash 1.3 qts per lb @ 154.
Yeast: Safale S-04 (Not sure if I should try this or Nottingham or S-05)

BrownAle.JPG

I am wondering if a whole pound of Crystal 40 is a bit much. I generally add .5 of a pound. I like Victory and the nuttiness it imparts so I might increase that to .5 pound. Everything else looks real good to me.

If you want it crystal clear (no pun intended) then use that S-04. That stuff is amazing. In the bottom of the bottle, it just sits there and you don't get any runoff in the pour. It produces an extremely 'clean' profile as well imho.

Like blender mentions the crystal might be a bit much especially if you go that high at mash. I have never used the American chocolate.

Here is a brown that I did a while back, it was very good. I used more of the light chocolate than I meant to, came out kind of roasty but after a few weeks in the keg that flavor mellowed out nicely. I think your addition of the carapils is good, I am planning on adding something to up the body next time I brew this. I mashed at 154F, I might bump that to 155F next time. If you are looking for a truen English style brown then I think you might drop the late hops, but I think it would still be very good.

northern_brown.jpg

Picture: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42212

I don't think a whole pound of 40L crystal is too much, but it's a matter of personal taste. I probably would like it, but someone else might like a drier beer.

It's up to you, bigben. If you don't like it this time, cut back (or add to it) next time! :)

TL

The high IBU and C40L will make for an interesting combination. Sweet browns generally have lower hop rates. This looks like Lost Coast's Downtown Brown, which is sweet and hoppy. Last time I was there, I got a deal on a case with crooked labels.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was trying to match this to an "American" style brown ale...so that's why it's got more Hops and the late hop addition for aroma.

Maybe I will back off the crystal a bit to about .75lbs and up the Victory to a half pound...we shall see.

If you're going for an American Brown and some hop aroma, consider another addition at 5 minutes. You won't get much aroma out of that 15 minute addition, but you will get good flavor.

TL

I should always remember to bring a pen to the LHBS.

I had to substitute some grains, and now I can't remember exactly what one of them was. It was a CaraMunich I believe, and I had to sub it for the Crystal 40. Also, there was no Victory malt so I ended up with Munich instead. So, this will probably be maltier than I was shooting for but whatever.... I also have a bad feeling that I got 1lb of CaraPils instead of the CaraMunich...I sure hope not. Im such a moron at the LHBS.

Anyway, here is what the new recipe looks like...I think.

Beer: Benny's Brown Ale(Subject to Change)
Style: American Brown
Type: All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 54 HCU (~23 SRM)
Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013
Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)

Grain:
8 lb. British pale
9 oz. American Munich
9 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
9 oz. American chocolate

Hops:
1 oz. Fist Goldings (7% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (5% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (aroma)

Yeast: Safale S-04

the_bird said:
An "American" brown would probably swap around the EKG and Amarillo additions; Amarillo for the flavor addition.
You're probably right...but I got all Goldings anyways. So I guess this is just a dark ale...it defies classification. Especially since I had to mix and match some grains.

UK hops are acceptable in an American Brown, according to the BJCP guidelines. But, screw the guidelines and brew what sounds good to you!

(And, the guidelines for American brown are about as vague and contradictory as anything you'll ever see)

TL

EKG's a great hop; as much as I love Amarillo (and I *love* Amarillo), I'd be hitting the EKG before anything citrusy for any kind of brown ale, domestic or English. Using EKG may give it a bit more of a traditional flavor, but nothing wrong with that.

FWIW, lots of English browns are a bit on the sweet side, so I don't see any problem with the pound of Crystal 40L. In fact, this looks like a real nice, fairly traditional recipe - maybe with just a little more hop flavor, depending on what you ultimately do with the additions.

Back