Help me with my hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I'm going to brew an Extra Special Bitter recipe from p 154 of Papazian's book. The hop schedule is for 2.5-3.0 ounces of Goldings or Fuggles at 60 mins
and then 1/2-1 ounces of Goldings or Fuggles at finishing (1 min I believe)
I have seen that a lot of brewers introduce the hops at 60/30/15 or something of that nature.
So here is what I have: 2 ounces of Goldings and 2 ounces of Fuggles to go with my 3.2 kg of pale LME, and 340 g of Crystal malt for a 19L batch. I'm using Wyeast Brittish Ale II for the third time (stirring up the yeast in the primary) but I could use Notty or Windsor if that seems smarter.
How would you hop this beer? And... would dry hopping suit this style?

Not all beers have hops all throughout. Fuggles and Golding are rather mild when compared to US hops.

I'd just make the beer as written. Add 3 ozs at the start, and then 1 oz at flame out.

The British ale yeast is a good one to go with. I assume you are re-using a cake. You will have better results if you just use a quarter of the cake rather than the whole cake. It's closer to proper pitching rates and allows the yeast to reproduce properly.

I would not use Windsor.

I checked my 3 Papazian books, and none of them have an ESB recipe on page 154.

Ok that sounds like good advice
I took the ESB recipe from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd ed.
There is a section of tables that don't have page #s between p149 and p166. I counted and saw that it would be p152, the first page of the table "Guidelines for Brewing 5 Gallons of Traditional beer."

I guess my copy is the 2nd edition. It notes copyright in 1984 and 1991.

That same page would be 166 for me, and it doesn't show ESB, only Special Bitter.

I'd suggest you look at something like the Palace Bitter recipe. It's a relatively low alcohol beer (4%) with about 3 ozs of English hops. Feel free to swap Goldings with Fuggles hops. They are different, but both work with the same style of beers. Some of the Goldings are different too, but for a beginner, I would make the assumption they are all the same.

For crystal, assume C40 or C60 unless noted otherwise. Really any crystal will do. They do contribute different flavors, but all make beer.

Extract: Assume all light extract is the same (Light/Extra-Light/Pale/Pilsner, etc.). Note 1 lb DME = 1.25 lbs LME.

Back