Welder selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazin

Reaction score
Am planning on building a single tier brew rack over the winter so I am in a market for a welder. I am planning on building the stand out of 1/8" 2"x2" square tubing. I have done some welding in the past using a friends Hobart Handler 210 using shielding gas. I would like to stick with using shielding gas because I love how clean the welds come out.

I have 2 choices for a welder right now and am having some trouble making a decision so I thought I would ask for some input.

Option 1:
Used Hobart Handler 125. This is the welder only, no regulator, no helmet, no cylinder, no cart. But...price is $185 in basically new condition.

Option 2:

Used Hobart Handler 140 with welding cart, full 80 cu ft C25 cylinder, regulator, and Hobart adjustable shade autodarkening helmet. Everything is in excellent condition, the guy who is selling it used it for one small project and hasn't used it since. Price for the whole set up is $650.

So... What would you guys do?

Option 1:
Used Hobart Handler 125. This is the welder only, no regulator, no helmet, no cylinder, no cart. But...price is $185 in basically new condition.

Option 2:

Used Hobart Handler 140 with welding cart, full 80 cu ft C25 cylinder, regulator, and Hobart adjustable shade autodarkening helmet. Everything is in excellent condition, the guy who is selling it used it for one small project and hasn't used it since. Price for the whole set up is $650.

So... What would you guys do?

The 140 is rather pricey at $650, you can get a new one (minus bottle) for $699!

If you can retrofit gas to the 125, that may be your best bet. (As per Tractor Supply's website, it doesn't appear that you can). flux-core MIG is marginally better than a stick welder in my book.

MC

the 140 is a pretty good welder, I used to have one and it always produced good results with anything less that 1/4" ...
Not sure I'd go for the 125 unless you're just wanting a welder for this job only, or feel you'll always be welding light gauge.
hope that helps

Wow, you guys are fast.

I agree, $650 did seem a little high to me as well. The guy actually has it listed for $675, I offered him $550, he said no, so I went to $600, he said no, I asked if he would budge at all and he said no... I guess he doesn't understand that saying "asking $675" and then telling me on the phone to come take a look at it after I asked him if he would be flexible on the price would give me the assumption that he wold be open to negotiation. Anyways he called me later that night after I left and said he would knock $25 off... After I had already drove 1.5 hours round trip to look at the welder the first time.

Sorry, just venting.... Kind of pissed me off.

In regards to the 125, I figure it would cost me $70 for a reg, $130 for a full cylinder, $140 for a decent helmet and around $70 for a cart. Totaling $495 including the $185 for the welder...and it still might be a little small for me.

So what do you all think is a fair price for the 140 with the full set up?

You don't HAVE to weld with gas if your welding standard steel. It just makes for less grinding in the end. I keep saying I will convert to gas when I run out of flux core wire. Too bad I have 3 spools to go, better start welding.

Called the guy with the 140 today and offered $550. He said he would think about it. I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime, I'm gonna keep looking for another 140 deal, I think the 125, even though it is a great deal, is a little small for me.

Get the 125 believe me but don't spen 140 on a helmet iv welded professionally with a 40$ fixed shade helmet for 2 years no problem. The 140$ auto darkening helmets r garbage , I good auto darkening helmet will cost as mush as that Hobart 140!

I like stick welder a I got the lincoln ac225 from Canadian tire second hand for 175$ I can weld anything with it and don't wory about gas

Bigger is always better. You can't use amps you didn't buy. A 125 versus a 140 is pretty straight forward. Are you planning to use 75/25 or pure CO2?
Wheelchair Bob

The guy called me back today and accepted the $550. Going to pick it up tomorrow after work. Time to start calling steel suppliers! I got one quote of $120 for 2 x 20' sections of 2"x2"x1/8" square mild steel tubing. Does this sound pretty reasonable?

The guy called me back today and accepted the $550. Going to pick it up tomorrow after work. Time to start calling steel suppliers! I got one quote of $120 for 2 x 20' sections of 2"x2"x1/8" square mild steel tubing. Does this sound pretty reasonable?

I havent bought any steel in a while, don't be afraid to shop around! Most places will gladly "chop to size" to make it fit on your vehicle.

MC

Back