My Hazelnut Vanilla Pumpkin Ale just got a great review in a beer blog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munklunk

Reaction score
I know a guy who runs a beer tasting blog, and he mentioned to me that he and his buddy were doing a Pumpkin Beer tasting for Halloween. He asked me how my brews were coming along, and I told him I had a Pumpkin that was almost ready. There and then he demanded that I give them a couple bottles to get a homebrewer's view on the style. The review follows:

http://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/201...ry-the-great-pumpkin-halloween-ale/#more-2068

What I brewed was a variation on the Samhain Pumpkin Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/) with the additions of vanilla, hazelnut syrup, and graham cracker extract. It needed time to come together, but turned into one of the best beers I've made in a while.

Just though I'd share with the community that keeps making my beers better and better. Thanks!

Hey Munklunk, Its a bit after the fact but never too late for congrats on the beer blog review of your version of the Samhain Pumpkin Ale!!!!!!!

I'm curious: When did you add the vanilla, hazelnut syrup, and graham cracker extract???

Also, by "vanilla" I assume you mean Good quality real extract? and how much?

REGARDING THE HAZELNUT SYRUP is that the stuff that people put in their coffee for flavor? and how much?

And what is GRAHAM CRACKER EXTRACT?? is that a little bottle like the ones I can get in a homebrew shop? and, how much do you use?

MY BUDDY AND I ARE GOING TO brew the original samhain pumpkin soon! and I wouldn't mind trying this variation when we split the batch or in another brew-session.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_John

Thanks for the kind words, John. In all honesty, the three additional additions were our experiment, so I added what I thought sounded right based on other recipes calling for the same ingredients, and tasted until I though it was right.

I added all three when I racked the stuff to a keg, pressurized, bled out whatever remaining oxygen, and shook it like crazy. I then opened the keg back up and pulled a sample out.

I tweaked each until it tasted right, but it came to something like 1-2oz vanilla, 2-3oz hazelnut coffee syrup (yup, the stuff you can buy in the store for your mornin java, or simply stop by Starbucks and ask for a few ounces), and 4-5 drops of the graham cracker extract (just look online for the stuff. It comes in a small dropper that is crazy concentrated). In fact, I've made the 'Pumking' clone as well, and the graham cracker extract is the secret ingredient that makes it all come together.

As for the roasting of the malts, I made them one day ahead of time and let them sit in a brown paper bag until I ground everything up. Happy brewing!

Back