Bought a march pump - need some fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Got a the march pump 809 coming in this week and hope to use it on Friday. I need the fittings for it and have no idea what to get. I also want some quick disconnects for it. I saw another post where someone listed the part numbers for the QD's, but I still need the valves for the pump. I used Flyguy's guide to build my mash tun. Link It uses a 3/8" ball valve on it.

Basically I need someone to say "Buy this this and this". I'm mechanically unenginered.

:mug:

A valve on the inbound side is a bad idea - you risk running the pump unprimed. One on the outbound side is all you need.

For connections, I tried one of these for the connection into the whirlpool, but I had to drill them out (there was a cross bar inside) so the hops wouldn't clog.

These work well, but are overpriced and the o-rings are easy to lose. I'm sure McMaster has an equivalent - but I didn't do the search.

Running the pump dry is fine, as long as it is not for 8 hours.

Here are the McMaster Carr QDs I use. You want to put the males on your pump (and the females on the tubing). Tubing is cheapest from Lowes (get the ribbed vinyl stuff) or Brewmaster's Warehouse if you want the good silicon stuff. The ID of the connectors below is 3/8", which is fine for me, but others have used connectors with a full 1/2" which gives them better flow rates. Me, I am completely happy with what I have.
QDs.jpg

Thanks! But what about the ball valves on my kettle and mash tun? One is 3/8" and the other is 1/2". What do I need for those?

I would replace the 3/8" ball valve with one of these http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop2.html. He also has quality silicon hose. Great guy to work with and super fast-shipping. I just got my pump last week and built my keggle. I brewed yesterday and I think you'll want the 1/2" minimum for the pump.

A stainless union on the inlet and a stainless union and a stainless ball valve on the outlet is all you need, if you are going to hard pipe it.
Cheers
Jay

Back