Backsweetening with Preservative cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kserey

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been searching for posts on this, and haven't found any yet. I have a cider going that I was wanting to backsweeten, as it is very dry. I found some cider at a local super market, but it has all kinds of preservatives. I thought this might be perfect for backsweetening. It should prevent renewed fermentation just in the fact that it has sorbates added to it. Has anyone else done this with successful results? thanks,

Preservatives are not a guarantee that fermentation can't occur. Sorvates really only prevent yeast reproduction, adding them to an active fermentation won't stop or prevent fermentation.

Having said that, adding it to an already complete fermentation as you plan on doing may or may not work. I would still stabilize with sorbate and sulfite. And then use your preservafied (yeah its a word today) cider to backsweeten without worry.

Back