Vodka zest & bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
I'm aging some vodka with zest and rind in separate bottles. Should I set the vodka outside, at room temp? Or should I refrigerate it?

Thanks!

I would put it in a jar and set it in a cabinet in your kitchen for a few weeks. It does not need to be cold or hot. Room temp will be fine.

I've also heard to keep it in a dark closet, and give it a gentle shake once weekly.

slightly off topic but it's related so i'll say it. the best flavored vodka i've ever made was a walnut vodka. it's amazing. take a cup of walnuts and pan roast them until they start giving off a lot of aroma. put them in a mason jar with a cup of vodka and a half-cup of brandy. seal it up and let it sit for about 2 months shaking it weekly. strain and sweeten with a simple syrup made of half brown sugar/half white sugar to taste. bottle and age for a few months. i have a white oak in my backyard so i cut a small branch into small pieces and put them in the bottle as well. it would be great in beer but if you're going to do that don't sweeten it. It's great on its own though!

When I made lime zest and bitter for my Cherry Lime Wheat, I just left them on the kitchen counter. For the first few days, I tried to shake them around fairly frequently, mostly in order to make sure the vodka got everywhere in the bottle and killed any stray microbes that might be in there (probably unnecessary). After that, I mostly shook them whenever I felt like it.

It's a pretty flexible thing, I'm not sure how you'd go about ruining it.

I did a vodka infusion a few years ago with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and such for a winter flavor.

It stayed on the counter at room temp with daily shakes to stir up the spices.

Came out great!

slightly off topic but it's related so i'll say it. the best flavored vodka i've ever made was a walnut vodka. it's amazing. take a cup of walnuts and pan roast them until they start giving off a lot of aroma. put them in a mason jar with a cup of vodka and a half-cup of brandy. seal it up and let it sit for about 2 months shaking it weekly. strain and sweeten with a simple syrup made of half brown sugar/half white sugar to taste. bottle and age for a few months. i have a white oak in my backyard so i cut a small branch into small pieces and put them in the bottle as well. it would be great in beer but if you're going to do that don't sweeten it. It's great on its own though!

That does sound really good!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hum....kinda off topic but has anyone ever tried to get nut flavor directly into a beer, perhaps by stepping nuts like you would step crystal malt. I think the fat and protein would be bad if you mashed it.

Kinda? More like really off topic and necro-threading besides. If you're looking for nutty flavor, Biscuit malt or Caramunich 70 can give you a nutty flavor in beer.

Back