Secondary Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
i have a 6.5 glass carboy, is this to big for a secondary, by having to much head space?
also i have a plastic 5gal carboy type jug (very thick plastic), is this any good for a secondary?
i have always used my spare primary ale pale for a secondary because it had a the spigot on the bottom and made it eazy for transfering to keg
i was thinking about taking the plastic 5 gal carboy type jug and add a spigot to it
any ideas?
Thansk Lenny

6.5 gal is perfect for a primary. that's what I use.

don't know about your plastic jug. if it's a water bottle type, someone else will have to respond if this is ok for beer.

yes, you can add a spigot to the plastic bottle though. yes, it's easier.

ditto, you can definetly use the 6.5 for secondary work. I have read books such as Palmer's that specifically mention using a 5 gallon for secondary work. But this was really to reduce potential oxidation effects and the long-term storability of the beer. To date I can say I don't think I've ever had an issue with that. Theory is great for telling you the absolutes of certain aspects of brewing, but in reality your opportunities for creating issue due to the increased headspace are probably pretty limited.

Back