Got projects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
Summer's approaching - for me that means a bit more free time, a bit more spare cash, and a whole lot more outdoor brewing - which also leads to more brewing-related projects.

I know it always helps to see other people's projects (or project ideas, at least) to build the motivation to start (or finish) my own, so... Who's got projects lined up?

My latest undertaking:
DSCF1620.JPG

25'x3/8" copper tubing, a 1500W heating element, paint can, and some insulation - plus a PID controller I just ordered... Can you guess where I'm going with this?

awesome, I love seeing the creative ideas that spawn when backyard engineers become homebrewers. I assume this is just a heat exchanger, nothing form the beer comes in contact with the paint can?

Next month I'm putting in an order for 50' of 1/2" copper tubing. I want to make an immersion chiller that can handle 10 gallons once I eventually get there.

Nice looking project up there. For a RIMS kinda deal?

I made a heat exchanger very similiar to that using a 2 gal Iglo water jug and 25' or 1/2 copper. Hope to have the first run with it this weekend. I had bought a pint can planning the same idea, but the coil I had already made was to big to fit in. I also used a 1500 watt element. Cannot wait to see the finial product.

Mike

RegionalChaos said:
For a RIMS kinda deal?
Close - HERMS.
drez77 said:
I made a heat exchanger very similiar to that using a 2 gal Iglo water jug and 25' or 1/2 copper. Hope to have the first run with it this weekend. I had bought a pint can planning the same idea, but the coil I had already made was to big to fit in. I also used a 1500 watt element. Cannot wait to see the finial product.
I'll be interested to see how that turns out also. That's an interesting idea... I've got a 2 gallon igloo drink cooler laying around from my partial mash days that I could have used, didn't even think of it. Not too late to switch, so that's a definite possibility - thanks for the idea!

See, this is just what I was hoping for, getting inspired by other people's project ideas.

Mine will be going towards paying off jewelry. Engagement ring + diamond earrings + wedding band = many payments...

Funkenjaeger said:
I'll be interested to see how that turns out also.

When I get home tonight I can try to take some pictures and post them so you can take a look at mine. Mine is set up so that the pump will run 100% of the time and the Love controller will turn the element on or off depending on the temperature of the thermocouple.

Mike

My project list:
Convert 2 kegs (75% complete)
10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT (95% complete)
4 Tap Keezer (10% complete)

I think by the end of these projects I will be at SWMBO's tolerance level for spending money and time on brewing :)

Just finished putting the A/C in the cold room. Need to run power, as the existing circuit won't handle the unit. I'll be taking the garage door out of the old garage & walling it in. Then replace/repair the back door. That will make the brewery an inside space.

My project is just the process of making the jump to ALL-GRAIN! I'm in the process of putting together a keggle, just ordered a burner, and am making a mash tun as well. I've got just about everything I need at this point.
Here's a picture from the weekend:
grinding_away_web.jpg

On top of that, I've started growing hops this year. While I never would have fancied myself a gardener, these particular plants are getting PLENTY of TLC. :D

Soulive said:
Mine will be going towards paying off jewelry. Engagement ring + diamond earrings + wedding band = many payments...

Hah! Just wait, thats just the tip of the ice burg. It's like paying an entrance fee to go shop somewhere! :p

kickflip_mj said:
you might like this, my rims exchanger in progress
I assume you mean HERMS? (although I suppose technically HERMS is a special case of RIMS) Looks very nice, I'd love to make something more permanent like that if I had the room to build an actual brew stand. Just out of curiosity, did you pick the size for a particular reason, or mainly for the convenience of being able to use a corny as a vessel?

you know i know its alittle big but i wanted somthing permanent and stainless, after i saw your paint can i was like damn thats such a better idea. but the cornie is chopped down and only gowing to be filled 3/4 of the way. same heating element also, and i have a pid with temp sensor getting installed were the tee is. it si defenitly going to take a while to heat the water up to temp though.

your ex changer im sure will also be more efficiant and hold temps more constant. the cornie i also got for $10, it had damaged valves.

Funkenjaeger said:
Summer's approaching - for me that means a bit more free time, a bit more spare cash, and a whole lot more outdoor brewing - which also leads to more brewing-related projects.

I know it always helps to see other people's projects (or project ideas, at least) to build the motivation to start (or finish) my own, so... Who's got projects lined up?

My latest undertaking:
DSCF1620.JPG

25'x3/8" copper tubing, a 1500W heating element, paint can, and some insulation - plus a PID controller I just ordered... Can you guess where I'm going with this?

Um.. a steam powered paint can lid launcher? LOL, just kidding. I'm thinking of doing this with a corny so that I can actually run the water inside at like 250F.

Here is the heat exchanger that I am working on. The element is 1500w 120v.

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

Mike

drez77, I like the idea of siliconing a PVC cap on around the element on the outside to shield it. Since mine's on the bottom, I'm trying to minimize how far it sticks out so I don't have to put too big a stand under it, but I think I can make something work with a short PVC end cap or something.

This is great. Anyone got any other projects? (They don't have to be heat exchangers, though that seems to be the trend ;) )

It's hardly worth talking about but I finally put the fifth perlick on my kegger and converted ALL the lines to 10 feet long for smooooth pours. That about does it for the summer.

How about non-brewing projects? I'm almost finished with the cabinet for one of a pair of Line Array loudspeakers that will be eight feet tall.

Each cabinet will hold 16 four-inch woofers, and 20 one-inch tweeters. The WAF (wife acceptance factor) will be very low for these monsters.

Latest posts

Back