Looking at propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubed

Reaction score
I'm starting to build up the equipment to go AG and I'm thinking about picking up a propane burner this weekend for (hopefully) one of my last extract brews. I'm looking at this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...d=10053&productId=100121665&categoryID=500349

Does that look powerful enough, or can someone point me in the right direction. There's shockingly few turkey fryers on craigs list or on sale at the stores.

The Bayou Classic is a very popular burner on the board and it works fine for AG. Do you have a brewpot yet?

that's plenty of burner for 5 gallon batches.

get at least 8gallon brew pot (bare minimum) and don't forget a wort chiller.

Sweet! Thanks guys.

I've got the brew pot taken care of. I have an old keg that's been sitting in my storage shed for a few years that's going to get new life as a keggle.

How are you going to do the conversion? Can you weld and cut a keg? I have a keg but I do not personally have the resources.. or know where to start looking for someone to do the conversion.

I highly recommend that burner. I've got a couple Bayou Classic burners, this is my preferred one now. Plenty of OOMPH, easy to contol the flame, burns very clean, and it's plenty sturdy for a keggle (if you end up going that route).

A related question...
My Bayou Classic burner has a 10 psi regulator. (Didn't even notice when I bought it, I was thinking they were all 15). My question is can I just add a higher PSI regulator? I think Bayou Classic sells them. Is it a different burner or is it just the regulator?

tgrier said:
How are you going to do the conversion? Can you weld and cut a keg? I have a keg but I do not personally have the resources.. or know where to start looking for someone to do the conversion.

If I remember right, Bobby M has a great video on YouTube showing how to make a keg conversion
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member.php?u=4833
check his profile for link to his videos

Chris_Dog said:
A related question...
My Bayou Classic burner has a 10 psi regulator. (Didn't even notice when I bought it, I was thinking they were all 15). My question is can I just add a higher PSI regulator? I think Bayou Classic sells them. Is it a different burner or is it just the regulator?

I'm pretty sure you can just change regulators, as long as that regulator is an option for that burner.

I think my KAB5 comes with a 15psi and I can upgrade to 20 or 25psi. But if you tried to put one that high on your burner, you likely couldn't dial in the air mixture right to get the right kind of burn. Probably have flames way too high.

Back