In praise of my three week secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Arnould

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that I have made the clearest beer ever! I owe it all to waiting long enough (the real reason for waiting was that I didnt have time to bottle) in the glass secondary. It is a tasty Belgian with lots of malty and yeasty goodness. And crystal clear!

I think you'll find that those in the know will already know that time = better beer.

Agreed, I started bringing my beers to my folk's place after bottling, out of sight out of mind. I can't wait for Thanksgiving to go back there and taste the difference. I will also have about 14 gallons to bring back with me.

Waiting is great....I'm waiting for after Thanksgiving to bottle what's in the secondaries I have...and to have SWMBO help me out too

I've noticed when I've been lazy and let beer sit, it works out in the long run

Hey Buddy... Now you gotta let that Belgian beer sit in those bottles for a few months! Even if you just put half a case stashed away somewhere. Don't let that 3 week secondary go to waste. Most of my belgians are in prime condition around 6 months or so. I always wind up drinking a few along the way, but let them age, and taste the wonders later on.

"Time makes the beer." is very true, especially with belgian styles.

I've found I have been letting my beers sit longer and longer and find that it really helps alleviate some of their problems. My What's With the Dead Guy has been in secondary for a month already (hoping to keg it this weekend).

5g, do you find that a few months wait helps because it's Belgian, or are you talking about strictly high-gravity brews, which most Belgians tend to be? This one is a relatively light (5.5 - 6 % ABV) one, so I didn't think waiting that long was so necessary.

Latest posts

Back