Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt vs British Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to make a DogFish Head 60 or 90 min clone (still deciding which). Either way the recipes call for Amber Malt, and specifically Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt.

My LHBS carries British Amber Malt, it's listed at 20L whereas I'm seeing Thomas Fawcett at 42L.

I know I've read that DFH uses Thomas Fawcwett, but would using the British Amber with some crystal malt (maybe a pinch of 120L) added in for color get me the the same/similar flavor profile, or is Thomas Fawcwett a different malt altogher?

Thanks!

It might be worthwhile to ask who the maltster is. Crisp lists theirs at 27L, so that might be it.

I wouldn't use crystal malts. While the color might get right, the flavor will be off. I'd look to either just use more of the 20L amber, or sub another malt within the same category, like a brown malt, or maybe even Briess's Special Roast.

That also seems light for a brown malt. Most maltsters will give a range their malts will fall under. Fawcett's amber is usually presented as 30-42L, or something like that. I wonder if your LHBS is just grabbing the lower number of the range for whatever malt they have and displaying that.

I looked over their malt range, and I'm not sure who their supplier is. They definitely carry Weyermann, either Dingemann or Castle, Briess, and I'm not sure who their British maltster is. Maybe Simpson's. That's a mix of different suppliers, though, so who knows? I hope you can figure it out.

Yeah, I'll have to stop by in person and see what they really have. Thus far I stuck to pretty standard malts (2-row, MO, crystal) so I haven't paid that much attention. Lots to learn, but at least there's beer at the end :D

I appreciate the input. :mug:

Back