Make 'em disappear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
If you could make any 3 musicians disappear, you would never have to see or hear them again who would you take?

1. Madonna - How has she not been put out of her musical misery yet? She has 6 top 10 hits since the Millennium changed out of 21 singles released. Not to mention she released that horrible cover of American Pie. And she hasn't had an album with 2 hits (top 40) since Music, Ok I'll stop before I get too side tracked.

2. Nikki Minaj - Ugh I hate her. Hate her so much. There is no song I like of hers. 100% honest. Hate Super Bass, and any "hit"

3. Kesha - Another one that I hate.

This is all I have to say. Kesha has released 8 singles, 2 number 1s, and 2 more in the top 5.

For comparison of some other Artists in the top 5 hit numbers

Led Zeppelin - 2 songs (one wasn't released)
Pink Floyd - 1 song
Rush - 0 (ok maybe not fair)
Metallica - 0
Pearl Jam - 1
Nirvana - 0
Foo Fighters - 0 (poor Dave Grohl, 2 awesome bands and 20 years of music and Kesha has more hot 100 hits)
Bob Dylan - 2
Jimi Hendrix - 0
Otis Redding - 1 (only top 5 hit was Dock of the Bay which came out after he died)
The Who - 0
Queen - 4 (in 50+ singles)
Aretha Franklin - 6 (come on, she was a pop act in her time as well and the recording artists singer ever)

Ok I'll stop, there, I promise. But it just makes me feel sad that songs like Tik Tok and We R Who We R (included her annoying spelling for emphasis) can be number 1 hits, but Smells Like Teen Spirit, Comfortably Numb, Fool in the Rain, Tom Sawyer, Master of Puppets, Evenflow, Everlong, Tangled Up in Blue, All Along the Watchtower, Stand By Me, Baba O'Riley, and Under Pressure can't crack the top 5.

Ok I promise I"m leaving the keyboard alone right now, I swear.

Taylor Swift - Don't care who she is breaking up with next.

Jason Mraz - Whiny little man baby

and, to be honest, any other top 40 crap.

In contrast....my typical brew day playlist....Slayer, Trivium, Devil Driver, Testament, Megadeth....etc..

You have to admit Madonna broke new ground for future female artists. She showed that you can be a feministic female musician AND sleep your way to the top!

Plus, I kinda like "Borderline"...

I would have put Rush on this list until I saw a documentary on them. I have too much respect for them now. Still can't stand most of their songs, but they are fantastic musicians.

Ke$ha for sure. $he's just na$ty.

Bieber (using the term "musician" very, very loosely) has to be at the top of this list. Period.

I'll second Nikki Minaj

Still thinking about a #3, but Marilyn Manson does spring to mind...

Bruce Springsteen.....UGH despite the fact that his music is marginal at best Id never have to here his useless political babble

Lil Wayne---before he became famous to stop the popularization of the autotune

Beyonce

Shes always been annoying, but now shes not even hot..

Beyonce_and_her_publicist_don-t_like_these_photos_.jpg

You have to admit Madonna broke new ground for future female artists. She showed that you can be a feministic female musician AND sleep your way to the top!

Plus, I kinda like "Borderline"...

I would have put Rush on this list until I saw a documentary on them. I have too much respect for them now. Still can't stand most of their songs, but they are fantastic musicians.

Ke$ha for sure. $he's just na$ty.

As I said, Madonna should be put out to pasture. I wasn't a huge fan of her older stuff though it wasn't bad, but she hasn't done anything respectable in a decade but keeps releasing albums and songs.

Rush is fantastic but I can totally understand why people don't like their music. I have some odd interests in some bands simply on musicianship, Rush and Dream Theater being the 2 biggest.

Bruce Springsteen.....UGH despite the fact that his music is marginal at best Id never have to here his useless political babble

Lil Wayne---before he became famous to stop the popularization of the autotune

{Placeholder for #3}

While I won't tell you to not hate Lil Wayne (he almost made my number 3, I used to like him but he hasn't done anything worthwhile in some time and now just gets too much credit) the autotune if more complex. The first widely recognized use of the Autotune was in Cher's "Believe" while the use in that song wasn't how it's now used, the real founder and populizer of Auto Tune in popular music is T-Pain, who uses it almost exclusively.

As I said, Madonna should be put out to pasture. I wasn't a huge fan of her older stuff though it wasn't bad, but she hasn't done anything respectable in a decade but keeps releasing albums and songs.

Rush is fantastic but I can totally understand why people don't like their music. I have some odd interests in some bands simply on musicianship, Rush and Dream Theater being the 2 biggest.

I was under the impression that if you put someone on their list they are wiped out completely, so that would eliminate anyone with any redeeming qualities off the list...

And yeah, I like me some Dream Theater. Musically similar to Rush, but sonically I appreciate their sound more.

Lastly, I could think of a lot more than 3, but I don't know most of the "artists" on the radio these days...

I can probably think of about a hundred but I figured 3 would be fine and let me appropriate the proper rage at Ke$ha .

I like Dream Theater a lot. I prefer Rush because you know some of their songs are under 6 minutes. I like the pure skill that DT has, but to me, it seems like every song has to have a solo for every instrumentalist and for me that's excessive. Plus you have to give Rush credit, how many bands can keep the same lineup for nearly 4 decades?

While other bands didn't break up (The Who and Led Zeppelin being prime examples of guys passing in their prime) most bands just don't have it in them to stay together that long. Rush took a hiatus of 5 years, but they never performed without each other. And that hiatus was almost 100% having to do with Neil Peart losing his daughter, and then a year later losing his wife, which he then went on a motorcycle ride around North America.

1. Lady Gaga
2. Justin Bieber
3. Nikki Minaj

Got to say, that while I'm not a big Modonna fan. I can at least admit she can actually sing. The three above are auto tune mavens. No singing talent. Maybe talent in other directions, but singing ain't one of them. Plus, Gaga and Nikki without their makeup caked on? Hideous.

Hate to burst your bubble but Gaga can sing. She's a performer first and foremost which is why she does other things.

But if you need evidence, check her out before getting famous.

LINK

That said I can understand why people would want her to go away. I don't mind her cause at least she's interesting and talented unlike, Nikki Minaj. Even Kesha for how much I hate her music has some musical ability, unlike Nikki Minaj. Long story short, I could make this the one person i want to get rid of and it would be Nikki Minaj.

As far as singing goes, Gaga>Madonna. Maybe not in what they've actually released popularly. But as I see it Lady Gaga is one of 2 things, either one of the all time great music performing arts (think David Bowie, Alice Cooper, etc.) or she's the pop version of The Darkness, poking fun at the industry while not acknowledging it and doing it from the inside with hits.

As you talk about what she looks like without makeup, that's highly irrelavant to her music but likely indicates why she could easily fit into what I described above. As not traditionally hot, could it be that to get popular in todays image obsessed society that she would need to appeal to a large base without physical attractiveness? Personally I like her, not her music but she's either a big middle finger to the music industry, or a hell of a piece of performance art.

All 3 of mine have already been mentioned, Swift, Bono, and Springsteen. The world would truly be a better place if they'd just go away. I'll even add a fourth, Kenny Chesney, I'm not sure, but I think he's only recorded one song, he just re-releases it over and over again.

1. Justin Beiber
2. Taylor Swift
3. Toby Keith

Hate them all equally for various reasons.

Wow...only three. This is going to be hard.

I know I'm going to cop some flack here but I just can't take U2. Never have. I find them really boring.
Not a fan of Pink either. I'm sure she's a good singer and performer and blah blah blah. But doesn't float my boat.
LMFAO. What was that about? Just wrong.

That is just the tip of the iceburg though.

All Newgrass: Fun., Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Punch Brothers...... I'm just over it. Fecking die already.

All Pop: Manaj, Ke$ha, Perry, Bieber, Mraz, Adele.... I'm over you, too. Die.

Contemporary Country. God you suck. die, Die, DIE!!!!

Still thinking about a #3, but Marilyn Manson does spring to mind...

I'm pretty sure he has gone away already.

3.Cat Stephens

No more Cat Stephans, either. He's Yusaf Islam now.

3. Toby Keith

The damage can't be undone.

1. Willie Nelson
2. Willie Nelson
3. Willie Nelson

Why the hate?

I know I'm going to cop some flack here but I just can't take U2. Never have. I find them really boring.

Quite possibly the most overated band ever. Almost as bad the Eagles.

Going to have to say

1) Toby Keith
2) U2
3) The Eagles

Last edited by a moderator:
I take guilty pleasure in listening to a lot of these. But never Taylor Swift. I'd use all three of my disappearings and use them on her. Just to make doubly sure she never records another song, everything she's ever written is burned from our memories, and any story of her breaking up with another guy never surfaces again.

That little stunt on the Grammy's where she called out British who's-his-face, how old is this girl? I worked as an age group swim coach for 5 years, and I've known 6 year olds more mature than her.

Ke$ha et al... I understand.

I am an eternal amateur musician, so I really strive not to hate - although it seems to be a common human thing, so I'm in good company.

Willie? Really?... ok, I understand, though I can't abide.

I enjoy music across the spectrum, my favs:
Lounge new&classic
classic rock
jam band stuff... THE DEAD!
some jazz - the biggies!
reggae
little kids improv songs are really cool (unencumbered by modern musical convention)
and although I love Dylans writing, and many of his songs are on my playlist (performed by him and others) I really prefer that he would not sing :)

hate away, it's my opinion.

A pro friend of mine states "as long as it's got soul"

Willie & Dylan pass the test... maybe I'm not cool enough to hear/feel the soul in Kesha/beeber/Rebecca Black!
So I just pass it by/Turn that dial!

RJ

P.S. Watched the grammys! loved how they kept cutting to Taylor Swift Premium Ham dancing/digging on on the popular tunes....
Then Jack White came on..... oh come on! show her now! with a bubble: "I don't get it/where is the hook/is this music?/this hurts my ears!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to burst your bubble but Gaga can sing. She's a performer first and foremost which is why she does other things.

But if you need evidence, check her out before getting famous.

LINK

That said I can understand why people would want her to go away. I don't mind her cause at least she's interesting and talented unlike, Nikki Minaj. Even Kesha for how much I hate her music has some musical ability, unlike Nikki Minaj. Long story short, I could make this the one person i want to get rid of and it would be Nikki Minaj.

As far as singing goes, Gaga>Madonna. Maybe not in what they've actually released popularly. But as I see it Lady Gaga is one of 2 things, either one of the all time great music performing arts (think David Bowie, Alice Cooper, etc.) or she's the pop version of The Darkness, poking fun at the industry while not acknowledging it and doing it from the inside with hits.

As you talk about what she looks like without makeup, that's highly irrelavant to her music but likely indicates why she could easily fit into what I described above. As not traditionally hot, could it be that to get popular in todays image obsessed society that she would need to appeal to a large base without physical attractiveness? Personally I like her, not her music but she's either a big middle finger to the music industry, or a hell of a piece of performance art.

Maybe it's an age thing. Maybe I'm to old to 'get it'. But I'm sorry, she can't sing a lick. At least not in the classical definition of 'sing'. She is a performer. That is how she should/is making her millions. Still....she ain't a singer. Not a bang on her for making a buck. But call it what it is. Most of the music on the radio is done by performers, not singers. Listen to the pop 40 or country stations. The tunes may be catchy, but sit and actually listen to the singing (especially if you get to see them in concert without the auto tune and endless retakes).....they suck. In the end, who cares. I need a beer. LOL :D

Maybe it's an age thing. Maybe I'm to old to 'get it'. But I'm sorry, she can't sing a lick. At least not in the classical definition of 'sing'. She is a performer. That is how she should/is making her millions. Still....she ain't a singer. Not a bang on her for making a buck. But call it what it is. Most of the music on the radio is done by performers, not singers. Listen to the pop 40 or country stations. The tunes may be catchy, but sit and actually listen to the singing (especially if you get to see them in concert without the auto tune and endless retakes).....they suck. In the end, who cares. I need a beer. LOL :D

Take it you didn't look at my link :ban: haha

She can certainly sing, is she Aretha? No not even close. But just as being famous doesn't make you a good singer, it doesn't make you a bad singer either.

Maybe you'd listen to this since it has Tony Bennett in it

LINK

She has pipes, she knows what she's doing vocally. She was accepted into CAP21 (an NYU program known for churning out broadway performers) she cam flat out sing. Now I'll say again, she doesn't always show it in her songs, but unlike many other pop performers she can bring it on the road. She doesn't just have a studio voice. Brian May wanted her to front Queen.

I've actually met Willie Nelson, he has long been one of my heroes, so I was as nervous as could be when the opportunity presented itself. After about two seconds in his presence, I was just as comfortable talking with him as I would be talking to a family member. He is a truly genuine guy, very humble, and very witty. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.

I can not stand Willie's jokes he's always saying anymore. So I understand that one.

I'd have to say my 3 are:
1. Taylor Swift
2. Nikki Manaj
3. Faith Hill (I blame her for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood and all the other lame country acts that destroyed country.)

I just can't stand Willie Nelson. it's odd since I like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and Waylon Jennings. but every time I hear Willie, I want to cave his skull in. same thing when I look at him. I really don't understand it, but that's the way it is.

I just can't stand Willie Nelson. it's odd since I like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and Waylon Jennings. but every time I hear Willie, I want to cave his skull in. same thing when I look at him. I really don't understand it, but that's the way it is.

I feel that way about Mariah Carey. Just seeing her face makes me want to slap her. Her voice, her face, all her music, just pisses me off thinking about it. Actually not even familiar with her music because after 2 seconds my ears start bleeding and I nearly go blind. :(

Three pages in and nobody's mentioned Garth Brooks or New Kids on the Block?

Tsk-tsk. You guys are slacking.

But I've just finished watching Alabama Shakes on Austin City Limits and looking forward to hearing some artist I've never heard of on Bluegrass Underground. If it's played in a cave, it automatically gets some brownie points.

(And, as an aside, not ALL 'Newgrass" is awful. Mumford and Son is far too dramatic for me, but I love me some Yonder Mountain String Band and Old Crow Medicine Show. Genuine stuff, right there. Try it on for size.)

Bedlam said:
Three pages in and nobody's mentioned Garth Brooks or New Kids on the Block?

Tsk-tsk. You guys are slacking.

But I've just finished watching Alabama Shakes on Austin City Limits and looking forward to hearing some artist I've never heard of on Bluegrass Underground. If it's played in a cave, it automatically gets some brownie points.

(And, as an aside, not ALL 'Newgrass" is awful. Mumford and Son is far too dramatic for me, but I love me some Yonder Mountain String Band and Old Crow Medicine Show. Genuine stuff, right there. Try it on for size.)

Guessing it's because both have already faded into obscurity....

Beyonce for me, I was never impressed with her to begin with, but now that #itch is everywhere. Instead of a new movie tonight on HBO there was a damn beyonce 2 hour advertisement. WTF

She is like Kate gosslin was a few years ago, at least her 5 min appears to be over.

Bedlam said:

Have you heard of/ listened to The Avett Brothers?

Have you heard of/ listened to The Avett Brothers?

I have a couple of their albums. They are from around here. I can only listen to a little of them at a time, though. A bit too dramatic for me.

Edit: A good alternative to the Avett Bros is a group called "The Devil Makes Three". Check out their album called Longjohns, Boots and a Belt.

What is "too dramatic for me" supposed to mean?

I really dig Mumford, it's nice to hear that style of music make it back to the radio in the main stream.

Guess Haters gonna hate.

Bedlam said:
I have a couple of their albums. They are from around here. I can only listen to a little of them at a time, though. A bit too dramatic for me.

Edit: A good alternative to the Avett Bros is a group called "The Devil Makes Three". Check out their album called Longjohns, Boots and a Belt.

I definitely will. I found The Avett Brothers on accident. I was at a Social Distortion concert and they opened for them. Such a great performance, I immediately bought a couple albums.

landshark said:
What is "too dramatic for me" supposed to mean?

I really dig Mumford, it's nice to hear that style of music make it back to the radio in the main stream.

Guess Haters gonna hate.

How about their complete lack of authenticity? I don't want to listen to a couple of Brits pretending to be from Appalachia anymore than I want to hear someone hear sing in fake English accent.

I feel that way about Mariah Carey. Just seeing her face makes me want to slap her. Her voice, her face, all her music, just pisses me off thinking about it. Actually not even familiar with her music because after 2 seconds my ears start bleeding and I nearly go blind. :(

Now see, I felt the same way about her til I saw the first episode of American Idol this season. When I got a load of that other chick, Mariah didn't seem near as bad.:eek:

Latest posts

Back