Beer in cancun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Hey all!

So in the hustle and bustle leading up to the wedding, I somehow neglected to ask the HBT'ers where's a good place in Cancun, Mexico to get a good beer?

SWMBO and I are both beer nerds. We've been drinking Dos Equis and house rum cocktails for 2 days. Time for good stuff.

Oh, and I'm smoking a dry as f**k Romeo y Julieta too. Any tips on good sticks would be welcomed too. Cheers all!

Good luck! I was there twice and it's always been the same corona, Dos equis, and Tecate. Most of the Caribbean is sadly that way. Sure would like to hear though if anyone knows a good place being I may someday in the far far future go back.

Rev.

P.S.
SWMBO is out- of-cabeza wasted. She can hold her stuff, but tonight, for some reason, she is totally hammered. Anyway, cheers!

I found Victoria to be the most refreshing beer in the Yucatan.

Hey all!

Oh, and I'm smoking a dry as f**k Romeo y Julieta too. Any tips on good sticks would be welcomed too. Cheers all!

I would say grab a pack of Cohiba cigarettes. Alas, they are Illegal for US citizens to buy even outside the US :(

So for legal smokes (and actual cigars for that matter :drunk:) my favorites are all Rocky Patel
Vintage 1999 smooth have Connecticut wrappers
Vintage 1990 a great medium cigar
The Edge is a full-body cigar and are very tasty

99's are my favorite

Have a great trip! :ban:

edit: (I could never find a good cigar in mexico myself BTW, I think they are just stored poorly)

digitaldeluge said:
I would say grab a pack of Cohiba cigarettes. Alas, they are Illegal for US citizens to buy even outside the US :(

What?

The Edge is a full-body cigar and are very tasty

Just picked up a maduro Edge Battalion today. I haven't had one in about a year, but this was the first full body cigar that I really enjoyed. I had a bad one back then and haven't smoked one since. I will let this one sit in my humidor for a couple of weeks before I have it.

You can buy them outside the US, you just can't bring them back. You made it sound like you couldn't even buy them for use outside the US. Hence my "What?".

You can buy them outside the US, however if you are a US citizen it would be illegal.

The question is often asked whether United States citizens
or permanent resident aliens of the United States may
legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and
alcohol products, in a third country for personal use
outside the United States. The answer is no[..]

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

Its lame I know.

On the out skirts of Mercado 28, there is a very tiny cigar shop, NOT one of the tent sellers. I can't remember the name of the place but they have a small walk in humidor filled to the brim with cubans. It's more expensive (mexico expensive) than the tents but a lot of the cheaper cubans are counterfeit anyways. I'll see if my gf remembers the name.

On the out skirts of Mercado 28, there is a very tiny cigar shop, NOT one of the tent sellers. I can't remember the name of the place but they have a small walk in humidor filled to the brim with cubans. It's more expensive (mexico expensive) than the tents but a lot of the cheaper cubans are counterfeit anyways. I'll see if my gf remembers the name.

Most of the cubans in Mexico are fakes sadly, but Cubans aren't so great anyhow, it's all forbidden fruit syndrome. I've been smoking cigars for many years and I've had my fair share of Cubans and while the taste is pretty good construction almost always sucks tremendously. Their cigars are ratty as hell, riddled with tobacco beetles, etc. I personally think Nicaraguans taste the best overall. Though I also love Honduran and Dominican - especially La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero!

Rev.

Rev2010 said:
Most of the cubans in Mexico are fakes sadly, but Cubans aren't so great anyhow, it's all forbidden fruit syndrome. I've been smoking cigars for many years and I've had my fair share of Cubans and while the taste is pretty good construction almost always sucks tremendously. Their cigars are ratty as hell, riddled with tobacco beetles, etc. I personally think Nicaraguans taste the best overall. Though I also love Honduran and Dominican - especially La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero!

Rev.

You're probably right about the forbidden fruit. I'll have to give that Dominican a try. Thanks.

Thanks all! You're right about the forbidden fruit thing. I'm probably better off with a good cigar back home and the just-fine, and well cared for house cigars here at the resort instead of chasing all over trying to find some magical Cuban cigar.

As for beer, SWMBO and I got absolutely obliterated on rum and Dos Equis the other day. Had I had access to really tasty craft brew, I'd have been KO'ed for a day or two. I think we'll be just fine with our fruity cocktails and Dos Equis for the next couple days. Cheers!

Get some Tesoro tequila, damn good stuff. I also second the LFD double ligero but I don't know how much luck you'll have finding those. I'd just tell them you know your cigars and you want the best stick that the true cigar loving locals smoke. Otherwise they'll think your another tourist who doesn't know jack about cigars and just wants one because your on vacation.

After a quick search into what you may be able to find down there I'd look for Fuente Diamond Crown, Te Amos anniversary, Turrents. The Fuente being the best of the 3.

if you want legit cubans go to the la casa de habano in cancun. its by a police station. its legit but its expensize, expect to bay 20 bucks minimum per cigar.

http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/site/content/view/34/53/lang,english/

this is the place, ive been there. get a mojito and sit on the rear balcony with a cuban.

they will also change the labels for you if you want to bring them back to the US, but its illegal so don't get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back