What type of rope/twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
What is the best rope/twine to use when growing hops and most affordable. Other than coir. I need around 270' for my 25 rhizomes. I have my trellis set up and ready to go. Also what do you guys use to anchor these.

I use standard ol' twine I pickup from HD or Lowes that I loop through an eye hook on the eave of my house. I have also tried using a light nylon string with this for added strength but have found it unecessary. I attach the twine to the ground with a stake. It doesn't take much as when the bines take hold of the string they will keep things in place.

I used cheapie kite string for my first year plants. I upgraded to some fairly thick hemp rope last year and it worked well - didn't stretch as much. I think I'll go with Twine this year as well.

Yeah, twine doesn't stretch much and gives the bine plenty to grip onto

thin jute twine is all i have ever used(and is biodegradeable), and for anchors just thin tent stakes. Never had a problem.

+1 on jute--you can throw it in the compost pile when the season is over and find it in bulk spools at HD or Lowes I tend to double it up just as a precaution because it breaks down in wet environments, and falling bines are a bummer.

Back