Dragon's Milk recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a recipe for this?

Is described as, "A barrel-aged, strong-ale with a soft and rich caramel-malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones dancing in an oak bath."

My god, is that stuff FANTASTIC!

rdwj said:
Has anyone seen a recipe for this?

Is described as, "A barrel-aged, strong-ale with a soft and rich caramel-malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones dancing in an oak bath."

My god, is that stuff FANTASTIC!
My guess is that you'll need a barrel for aging it.

Cheesefood said:
My guess is that you'll need a barrel for aging it.

I'm wondering if I could get that flavor from some oak chips? I see that Radical Brewing has a recipe. I'm going to have to take a closer look. I own the book, but didn't remember seeing it in there.

I've got to say, it QUICKLY became one of my favorite beers. With your love for all things vanilla, you'd probably be a big fan too.

Rhoobarb said:
Looks like ill.literate is working on one. Just saw this.

Actually... rdwj and I have exchanged several PMs about the recipe, bouncing ideas off each other here and there.

Shimms and I are hoping to finalize our recipe this weekend.

She picked up the oak cubes today, and we'll begin soaking them this weekend.

And I got REALLY lucky ... was sent out on an assignment today, stopped at a liquor store in the area and found five bottles of Dragon's Milk on the shelf. I bought all but one. :)

Pumbaa said:
Ya gotme interested, I'll look around

Good luck... I've looked hither and yon, and even read on another message board of a guy contacting New Holland and not getting any help at all.

Let us know if you find anything :D

after some searching try Radical Brewing page 129 (English October Beer)

I cant get to a bookstore today to photo the page cuz I'm at work but supposedly a recipe for Dragons Milk. As for the barrel aging . . . try sterilzing your oak chips in some burbon then letting them sit in the secondary for 9-10 months.

also found this, nice article

If anyone ha a copy of Radicle brewing could ya post the recipie on page 129? If not I'll gead out tomarrow and try to find me a copy . . . need something to read for jury duty

So, are you talking about New Holland's brew? Randy Mosher was not giving a recipe for that in the book. From what he says one could make an "original" dragon's milk brew just using a couple boats of pale malt and maybe some wheat and/or oats.
The point is mainly to make an inordinately strong beer from first runnings of an insanely large mash. Think low-hopped barleywine.
As for what New Holland calls their Dragon's Milk, I haven't had it yet, but saw it in the store the other day. Might have to pick up a bottle.

abt said:
So, are you talking about New Holland's brew? Randy Mosher was not giving a recipe for that in the book. From what he says one could make an "original" dragon's milk brew just using a couple boats of pale malt and maybe some wheat and/or oats.

Yeah thats the beer and your right . . .I went and bought the book and it's exactly the same as some article I found online no New Holland style recipe . . .

btw . . .
http://www.beernexus.com/flashnews26.html
New Holland Brewery in CO has
begun distributing Dragons' Milk
Beer along the East Coast.
It has a strong cream flavor, due
to the addition of lactose sugar
during fermentation.
Lactose is a
sugar that cannot be converted
to alcohol by yeast, so its use
adds more sweetness and body
to a beer, along with the cream
or milk flavor.

Dragon's Milk, which, depending
on the source, is either a
Scottish term for a strong ale or
the actual name of a beer from
sometime in England's past. It
pours dark and creamy and has
an incredible aroma of vanilla,
oak, chocolate, toffee and
caramel.

It clocks in with a 10-percent
alcohol content which probably
explains why even milk drinking
dragons were so feared.

We're going for it this weekend.

Here's the recipe :

14 pounds marris otter
2 pounds cara-pils
2 pounds crystal 80L
1 pound roasted barley
.5 pounds crystal 120L
.25 pounds chocolate malt
3 ounces East Kent Goldings - 90 mins
2 ounces East Kent Goldings - 30 mins
2 ounces East Kent Goldings - flameout

14 days in primary and a month in the secondary

in secondary
2 vanilla beans - split
3 ounces bourbon soaked oak cubs - with bourbon thrown in too
.5 pounds of lactose

I don't have a mash sked (it's in my laptop, which is at home today) but we'll be doing a single infusion, and batch sparging. We'll be dropping it on our No Foolin Bells Best Brown clone yeast cake.

We were planning to go with 12 pounds of maris otter, but our efficiency isn't quite where we want it yet, so we upped it to 14 pounds. If we improve our efficiency during this batch, this will be a bigger beer than it's namesake.

Hoping the brew gods are smiling on us this weekend :mug:

Edit : because of supply issues with our LHBS

Pumbaa said:
Yeah thats the beer and your right . . .I went and bought the book and it's exactly the same as some article I found online no New Holland style recipe . . .

btw . . .

Good to know about the lactose. I don't have that in my recipe, but will probably add it. I'm giving mine a shot this weekend too.

Brewed!

Here's the recipe, altered on brew day of course :

14 pounds marris otter
2 pounds cara-pils
2 pounds crystal 80L
1 pound roasted barley
.5 pounds crystal 120L
.75 pounds chocolate malt
2 ounces East Kent Goldings - 90 mins
1.5 ounces East Kent Goldings - 30 mins
2 ounces East Kent Goldings - 2 mins

14 days in primary and a month in the secondary

in secondary
2 vanilla beans - split
3 ounces bourbon soaked oak cubs - with bourbon thrown in too
.5 pounds of lactose

Pitched this on top of a Bell's Brown clone yeast cake and WOW did that thing take off.

Mashed for a full 90 minutes, boiled for 90 mins. Had a great boil off but our efficiency wasn't quite what we'd wanted, so it won't be as big a beer as we'd planned, but wow this thing has the makings of a special beer. Probably not quite on par with New Holland's brew, and certainly not as big, but we think this will be a good one.

Can't wait to try it when we rack to the secondary.

What was the OG?
I ask because this recipe sounds interesting to me and would like to see how it turns out, etc. from start to finish. :D

I don't have my notes with me, but our OG was around 1.056 if I remember ... Beersmith put it at around 1.070, but like I said, our efficiency still needs improvement.

Regardless ... it's going to be a good beer.

I just want to see if I brew based on the recipe, and my OG is somewhere between yours and beersmiths estimated one(or wherever) -what I can expect in a final result.

Looking to put together a small batch of this for the fall - if I wanted to do 2 gallons instead of 5, would I just scale everything down 2/5?

Latest posts

Back