Blowoff hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffyBros

@DuffyBeers
Reaction score
I just bought the Deluxe kit from Northern Brewer. Going to brew my first beer tomorrow. I was formerly using a Mr. Beer kit from binnys.

My question is about the blowoff hose. I understand what it does. But when do I need to use this? (first day, second day, third day? Etc.). I know to use it when the croison is getting too high in my glass carboy. But I work a lot and was looking for a heads up going into the brew. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brewing NB Phat Tyre!

Kev-

I use mine until primary fermentation slows down, usually about 3-5 days. It doesn't hurt though if you just leave it in for the entire conditioning process either, it just takes up more space.

Are you brewing in the carboy? And if so what size? I have used 6 gallon carboys for fermentation with no need of a blow off tube 90% of the time unless I over filled the carboy. I would Just make sure you pitch at the proper temp or on the cool side by just a few degrees and let it raise up to fermentation temps over 24hrs or so to lessen the chance if fast fermentation. If you do need one it’s not a set time thing since it’s all up to the beer and yeast. Your yeast may take off in just 24hrs or 48-72. I would just check you beer every 12 hours or so to see how the fermentation is going and go from there or use it from the start no harm there.

for all those who say they don't need a blow off tube most likely haven't had a a primary blow sky hight and ruin a ceiling, carpet, etc etc.

USE A BLOW OFF TUBE. if you want to switch to a 3 piece airlock or bubble type device after a week once fermentation has die down go right ahead, but I leave mine on the whole time with no ill effect.

-=Jason=-

I have a 6 gallon carboy for primary. Stupid question: if I check the carboy every 12 hours for the first 5 days, how will I know if I need to use the blowoff hose? Will the beer or croison look a certain way to indicate it needs to be done?

If you're at all concerned about needing a blow-off tube in the carboy, I would install it right after pitching the yeast in... Once it's done with spewing forth foam and other things (usually withing a week of fermentation kicking into high gear) you can remove it and install an airlock in it's place.. If the carboy is PET/Better Bottle, then you can use the same tubing as your racking cane uses in the bung's hole... If a glass carboy, you can do the same thing, OR get a length of tubing that goes directly into the carboy's bung hole and then into the bucket of sanitizer solution. If you go the glass route, just be sure you push the tubing through the bung, so that it it won't get pushed out. It should be a snug fit (as with most things going into bung holes :eek:)... If you're using a PET carboy, then just push it in enough to go through the bung's airlock hole...

Another option available (some people use it) is to add a drop of fermcap per gallon in the fermenter...

So, you have a few options available to you... I've yet to have an airlock go airborn, but I've also used blow-off tubes in most of fermenters (at least initially)... I used my 6 gallon carboy and had foam through the airlock (~5 gallons of wort went in) about 6 hours after pitching the yeast (the first time I used a starter in fact)... Used a blow-off tube on that one and it was ACTIVE for the first several days...

Knowing how to set up the blow-off tube is an important piece of knowlege IMO... It means you can ferment in a wider range of vessels... Including corny and Sanke kegs. :rockin:

BTW, I think it's better to install the blow-off tube on the fermenter for the first week and NOT need it, then not install it and come home to a wort mess where you're fermenting...

Definitely use a blow off tube ...I use a 6.5 gal carboy and fill it to 5.5 gal and get blow off every time....no need to mop the ceiling if you don't have to

Imo, if your usin an airlock presently, and you start noticing your kruasen in your airlock, then you should use a blowoff.

Based on my limited brewing exp, you may never need a blowoff in you entire career, and it depends more on the beer/yeast you are using then anything.

Edit, add:
you don't hurt anything by using a blowoff, just sit the oher end in some sanitizer..., better safe then sorry unless you learn you don't need one

Sorry for typos, im on my nook

Imo, if your usin an airlock presently, and you start noticing your kruasen in your airlock, then you should use a blowoff.

Based on my limited brewing exp, you may never need a blowoff in you entire career, and it depends more on the beer/yeast you are using then anything.

From what I've experienced, and read from others, I don't think anyone will NEVER need to use a blow-off... At least, not without some additional assistance (fermcap) of giving the brew a LOT of headspace (~33-50%)...

Latest posts

Back