Coopers Stout mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic76

Reaction score
I am going to make the coopers irish stout mix but my question is, if the mix in the can and then add a can for dark malt extract and 1/2 # of dex. should this turn out ok, I plan on racking it to a secondary after about 2 weeks in the primary and letting it set for about 2 mo. before bottling it. also should I double pitch the yeast or just use the one that comes with the can. this will be my second brew.
Thanks for any advise
Medic76
( I a nb with a lot to learn:) )

according to the calculator I use (Kit & extract beer designer) you would end up with:
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5%
Bitterness: 30.4 IBU
Colour: 129 EBC

Should be good I reckon but I haven't done one yet. I have a can of Coopers stout lined up for my next batch and looking forward to it - I've heard good things about Coopers stout.

You should be fine with one pack of yeast and no need to secondary. Just keep it in primary for 4 weeks.

Thanks for the help, I have heard good things about it to that is why i am going to try it. It will be my second batch. if I add more dex like 1 # would that increase my abv %
thanks for the cal. aidan
Medic

It'll increase your abv but may change the taste. Better off using more DME if you want to increase abv - or just leave it as is.

1lb (0.5k) would bring you up to 5.6%. The thing about making your beer higher in alc is you won't be able to drink as much of it without getting wasted. I reckon 5% is a nice happy medium.

I just bottled a coopers stout (even though i've gone all grain I keep coming back to that one). I used 1 coopers kit, 2 lbs dme, 1 lb table sugar and used S-04 instead of the coopers yeast. It started at 1.044 and finished fairly high (1.018) but that seems kind of normal to me when using these kits, I bottled after 2 week primary then a 1 week cold crash. Lets hope i didnt jump the gun a little and make bottle bombs :). On a side note, that leaves me with 3.6 percent ABV which makes it a perfect after work beer for me, and it was tasty right out of the fermenter, without any conditioning (presumably because it is such a small beer).

I am thinking about doing this again without the table sugar and only using the 2 lbs DME, which should put me in right around 3 percent. I imagine that a beer like that wouldn't have a very long shelf life, but thats okay as I wouldn't really plan on keeping it around very long.

I made a great BIG Cherry stout with it!

1 can Cooper's stout
3# Dark DME
2# Wheat DME
2# Honey
1oz Liberty hops at about 10 minutes

I used the Coopers yeast pack and threw in some Wyeast 3787 for good measure.

Once it started to slow down (Maybe the third day) I added 16oz of 68 brix tart cherry concentrate.

It sat in the primary for 6 weeks before I bottled.

I bottled it in August, and it's really getting good now! (I'm running a bit low, but I plan on stashing a six pack to see what it's like in about a year,)

Thanks for all the Help and ideas. this forum is great. everyone on here is great help to us nb. I Think I am going to take this info and run with it and see what happens in about a month or so.
Thanks again
Medic76

A couple more ideas to add....
1) steep 1lb quick oats for a little better body
2) ~4oz of cocoa powder adds an interesting note (but not noticably chocolatey)

Back