Bayou Classic SQ14 assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Hi! I purchased this burner. I went to put it together last night and all that it came with was the burner (with a threaded rod in the bottom of it), the stand and the gas line. I am wondering what else it should have come with to assemble it as you can't with these pieces. I contacted the company I purchased it from and they are sending me "a screw" to attach the burner to the stand. Is that all it takes? The instructions mention some sort of plate and whatnot. Oh boy, always something... Thanks in advance yet again!

Abram

I can't visualize it right now (I have the same burner), but it sounds right.

you screw the fuel line into the burner, and then screw the head of the burner to the stand.

I bought mine a little while back off Amazon and didnt really have to do much assembly. I think all I had to do was mount the burner, put on the air adjustment cover and then screw in the screws for the gas line. I was missing my air adjustment piece, but found it underneath the flaps in the cardboard box it was sold in..

Ah, I see. Maybe all I need is a screw then. Just seems like 1 screw would not hold it all that securely. Oh well. Thanks for the replies!

Just checked mine. I have 1 screw in the middle of the stand to hold on the burner and then 2 screws on the end of the burner to hold on the air adjustment piece. Then the main propane line screws in between those two screws.

Thanks! Are all three screws the same? I looked more closely at the "threaded rod" protruding from the bottom of the burner and it looks like a screw that had the head snapped off. I am concerned about what happens when screw gets hot if it will break apart in shipping.

Just checked mine. I have 1 screw in the middle of the stand to hold on the burner and then 2 screws on the end of the burner to hold on the air adjustment piece. Then the main propane line screws in between those two screws.

When I got mine, the air adjustment piece and such were already on there.

Did anyone else get theirs in a marked box with the parts in a bag or something? Mine came in some box with everything loose. I found a locknut yesterday in the box and just now received another bolt (in a plastic bag from them). It seems weird and I really want to make sure that everything is as it is supposed to be as it is an apparatus for burning propane. Haha, just seems unprofessional and whatnot.

Did anyone else get theirs in a marked box with the parts in a bag or something? Mine came in some box with everything loose. I found a locknut yesterday in the box and just now received another bolt (in a plastic bag from them). It seems weird and I really want to make sure that everything is as it is supposed to be as it is an apparatus for burning propane. Haha, just seems unprofessional and whatnot.

Half the loose parts were in a bag and half were loose for me. Thats why it took me a while to find the air shutter which I thought they didnt send me. (Just hidden underneath the fold of cardboard in the box)

Mine came with the the burner already mounted and a small bag with a shutter and a spring. No other screws which I am supposed to have. Turns out the shutter and spring are part of this replacement kit. http://bayouclassicdepot.com/5210_propane_burner_part.htm.htm

So I am a little disappointed with Bayou Classic. Seems like everyone receives it with something wrong and no one has the same problem.

So I am a little disappointed with Bayou Classic. Seems like everyone receives it with something wrong and no one has the same problem.

I am convinced that all of the Bayou Classic's are built in a hurry on Friday... that or they are falling asleep from all the turkey / beer they are ingesting at work...

I wish I had a screw that fit at my house. My gas line doesn't even screw in well. I am kinda hoping Home Depot at least responds to my email I sent them. Unfortunately, I wanted to brew with it this weekend.

mine didn't come with a spring, until now I didn't realize there was supposed to be one

mine didn't come with a spring, until now I didn't realize there was supposed to be one

I don't think the spring is supposed to be there. A couple of us have received them. From what I gather the small parts should be 3 screws, and the shutter. 1 screw holds the burner to the stand and the other 2 screws fasten the shutter to the burner.

Did anybody else have a little trouble screwing the gas line into the burner? Mine goes about half way in and then feels like I am going to break it if I force it anymore.

I don't think the spring is supposed to be there. A couple of us have received them. From what I gather the small parts should be 3 screws, and the shutter. 1 screw holds the burner to the stand and the other 2 screws fasten the shutter to the burner.

Did anybody else have a little trouble screwing the gas line into the burner? Mine goes about half way in and then feels like I am going to break it if I force it anymore.

There should be a spring included. It's function is to put pressure on the damper (shutter) against the burner casting to keep it from turning too easily. You want it to stay where you set it and not spin freely.

The fitting on the end of the gas line has tapered pipe threads. This type of fitting is designed so that it will be tight at about the half way in point that you described. It should not bottom out or thread all the way in. Don't force it beyond firmly tightened. I know that's kind of a vague description for how much to tighten it, but it need not be overly tight. Snug will do just fine.

There should be a spring included. It's function is to put pressure on the damper (shutter) against the burner casting to keep it from turning too easily. You want it to stay where you set it and not spin freely.

The fitting on the end of the gas line has tapered pipe threads. This type of fitting is designed so that it will be tight at about the half way in point that you described. It should not bottom out or thread all the way in. Don't force it beyond firmly tightened. I know that's kind of a vague description for how much to tighten it, but it need not be overly tight. Snug will do just fine.

Thank you, that is some good information. Now if only they had sent me the two screws to keep the shutter on. Would anyone know the specs on those in case I need to grab them from home depot?

Call up Bayou directly. Here is the contact info. 1-800-736-8028 I asked for Justin and he sent me the stuff I needed. GL! It will arrive in a plain brown envelope and in a dirty plastic bag. Haha, very much like the way the burner arrived. Makes me wonder what kind of company they are.

Yea, I just left it a little loose and then adjusted it to where I wanted it and tightened it down. I don't think I would even want the spring. I don't really want it to adjust at all from where it is.

Thanks!! Mine was not tightening all the way down. I was worried about this and have not brewed with it yet because of it. I'll fire it up later on and hopefully brew this weekend.

P.S. I didn't get a spring either :(

Latest posts

Back