Dry hop an oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Just brewed my second batch. The oatmeal stout kit from midwest. Been in primary for 7 days. I was wondering what my result would be if I dry hopped with 1 oz of simcoe. The kit only came with an oz of fuggle and I was wondering if a dry hop would give it a positive change. Lemme know if this idea is terrible or could actually improve the stout. Thanks.

Just brewed my second batch. The oatmeal stout kit from midwest. Been in primary for 7 days. I was wondering what my result would be if I dry hopped with 1 oz of simcoe. The kit only came with an oz of fuggle and I was wondering if a dry hop would give it a positive change. Lemme know if this idea is terrible or could actually improve the stout. Thanks.

would it be terrible? No

would it be within the stylistic guidlines of a stout? No

if you tend to like beers that have a very hoppy feel with lots of hop aroma and that "fresh hop" taste. Then you might like it. I wouldn't call it an authentic stout with the dry hops. So if you care about styles don't do it, if you like it and could care less, then go ahead dump them in.

I don't care about styles and have no desire to enter competitions so I've done many a things that are not within style and I've enjoyed and not one has ever been bad.

I'm currently drinking a 1/2 liter of a nut brown porter (took a growler and filled it half with a nut brown and half with a porter) a very nice mix of the two.

in the end if you like dry hopped beers do it - you're the one drinking it...

I would not dry hop a stout. I've tasted many stouts that were and I have yet to find a hop aroma that complements a good stout.

Have to agree with the 'no', but if it is what you like then why not?

Personally I like the burnt malty flavour to dominate in that sort of dark beer. I don't like it when any sort of herbal or otherwise hoppiness gets in the way. But that really just shows my taste preferences...

I think it's a waste. Think about your ingredients list for a second. Name the ingredient with the strongest flavor.

That's right; roasted barley. Dark, highly-roasted grains must be the dominant flavor characteristic of Stout of any type. It's my not-inconsiderable experience that dry-hopping Stout just makes a flavor train wreck; it takes what might be a wonderfully quaffable Oatmeal Stout and muddles everything.

YMMV, of course.

Bob

Back