Bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I just scrounged up a bunch of widmere beer bottles. But I have some questions............ If they have been sitting awhile and have some slight mold growing and have old beer in them, would soaking them in hot water and 409 while i scrub the crap out of the outside to rid them of glue and label, then run them through the dishwasher with some detergent then again without detergent for a good rinse work well enough to clean them before storage? So that when I want to bottle all i need to do is jet it out and sanitize.

Even after just the scrubbing of the outside and the soaking in the hot water and 409 there is no visible presence of gunk/grime/mold of any form.

I posted this in a longer thread but I need a quick and sure answer......I've read through/am still reading a thread on sanitizing but it doesn't answer my question too well.

Ya know I am not sure that 409 (a degreaser) will do what you need. I would use PBW if you have it on hand, if not go w/ the Oxy-Clean, probably a better choice than 409. If all you have is 409 use it, but I would give them a loooong soak, use HOT HOT HOT water and rinse very well after. Maybe follow up w/ a bleach water wash and rinse after and then sanitize.
Jay

The 409 I used was allpurpose anti bacterial cleaner and remember its being run through 2 cycles in a heat dried dishwasher before being stored.

Rinse it well and you'll be fine, your dishwasher won't rinse them all that well, it just cant get the water in them all the way. Sanitize them well. I like Star*San for that job.

Back