"Brewing Classic Style" by Jamil and John

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I just got this book, and the recipes look great, but I have a question:
When I entered 2 of the recipes into BeerTools Pro, all of the specs were way off compared to what Jamil has listed. The Color, IBU, OG and FG are higher on BTP than in the book.

Anybody know what gives?

I had to adjust the amounts of Crystal 40L and 120L in an Irish Red recipe so the color fell into the BJCP guidelines. BTW, I am brewing with all grains, not extract.

The recipes are for 6 gallons.

Which recipes did you enter?

Ahh...six gallons! Thanks for the info gents! I've entered the Irish Red ale, and the American Amber ale into BTP so far. A friend is giving me a bunch of freshly harvested Cascades next month that I plan on tossing into the Amber to fresh hop it.

Here's another thing you need to do to brew those recipes:

If you'll notice when you throw in all-grain malts instead of the extract recipes, the percentages are off from the original recipe.

The best way I've found to work them is to enter them all as is (I use Beersmith) with jamil's efficiency (70% I believe) and his all-grain substitutions as a 6 gallon batch (with no kettle loss calculations) then convert to your own efficiency, THEN tweak the grain bill until the percentages of each malt match up, watching your planned OG. I've done a recipe or two from that book with both this method and the method of just entering his amounts (rather than percentages) and I'm pretty confident that the percentage balancing is the way to go.

Cheers!

I am with you Budzu. Percentage is the way to fly.

The percentage of grainbill is one of my only gripes with that book. (percentages are for extract + speciality grains - NOT all grain) Every recipe I have done out of it has been great, though!

What I do, is add up the total grain weight, using the all grain option, then recalculate the percentages of total grain bill for all grain, and write them in beside the extract percentages in the book. Makes it easy for me to scale it any which way in beersmith, and for future reference.

I don't have it in front of me, but all the specs should be listed. Make sure you have the batch size and efficiency correct. He also uses the Rager formula to calculate hops. Beersmith defaults to Tinseth, so make sure to change that in the settings.

Boy, a lot of posts in the last few days from jamilz. Assuming he is the real Jamil, and not that Facebook imposter we've heard about, it's good to have him here. I'm wondering if the I Am A Homebrewer video "controversy" made him remember he had an account here?!?! :D

If it is really you, and not that skunk faced liar, then welcome back. I really enjoy the BN shows oh, and I like the book as well! :mug:

I enjoy the book and have been using it for a reference on a lot of my recent brews. I'm down to about 1-2 pints of the IPA and the Saison left. Both of which I will brew again in the future.

I get about 65% efficiency and I brew 5.5 gallon batches. The listed grain bill gets pretty close to the OG for me.

Boy, a lot of posts in the last few days from jamilz. Assuming he is the real Jamil, and not that Facebook imposter we've heard about, it's good to have him here. I'm wondering if the I Am A Homebrewer video "controversy" made him remember he had an account here?!?! :D

If it is really you, and not that skunk faced liar, then welcome back. I really enjoy the BN shows oh, and I like the book as well! :mug:

Yes, in fact it was the whole video thing that reminded me to try and get back here every so often. I get so busy sometimes I can't seem to keep up with the forums anymore.

I generally use my opossum face when I lie. Makes it easy to tell.:)

Yes, in fact it was the whole video thing that reminded me to try and get back here every so often. I get so busy sometimes I can't seem to keep up with the forums anymore.

Well, welcome back! It's always good to have another knowledgable person on the board.

I was also going to note that you might want to update your profile as they default to female and noticed yours had the default setting, but I see you have already done some housekeeping in that regard.

Keep the good shows coming on the BN. Not just blowing smoke, I think a lot of people on here get a lot out of them. Now, when's that next book coming out? :D

Yeah, welcome back, even though you joined before me I guess I can still say that :)

I enjoy your Can you brew it series as well, I never found out where we send in the requests for the beers to clone though??? I am the guy that that requested Bert Grants Perfect Porter in the first response to your Moose Drool show. I am now trying to get it down as my house porter and whipping up a 3 gallon test batch this weekend after a lot of research. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bert-grants-perfect-porter-clone-11597/)

Oh yeah, I have your Brewing classic styles book too and enjoy the information.

I'd like to see all the recipes in promash or beerxml format. Would that be considered infringement? I guess if Jamil said okay :) I've seen several on the intrawebs.

There was a "controversy"?

I am with you Budzu. Percentage is the way to fly.

The percentage of grainbill is one of my only gripes with that book. (percentages are for extract + speciality grains - NOT all grain) Every recipe I have done out of it has been great, though!

What I do, is add up the total grain weight, using the all grain option, then recalculate the percentages of total grain bill for all grain, and write them in beside the extract percentages in the book. Makes it easy for me to scale it any which way in beersmith, and for future reference.
That's exactly what I do as well. Excellent book. My only gripe is this extra step I need to do as I all-grain brew. ;)

Kal

If Jamil reprinted an all-grain edition of the entire book, I'd for sure buy it again :) Mine's stained all to hell anyway.

Back