back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ananimity

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm a newb, and just finnished fermenting my first win kit. It is a California trinity white. Ok my question is if the wine doesn't start to get its flavour from aging till about 3 months, then how can i sweeten to taste.
I just sampled a small glass today and it is very dry, and not very pleasant. My wife prefers a sweeter wine. So how can I sweeten to tase if it doesn't taste properly yet. If i sweeten so she likes it at this moment, what will it be like in 3-6-9 months.
Is it better to just bottle now and let her sweeten per glass?

Back sweetening is pretty easy but remember that wine does get sweeter in the bottle. If you sweeten to taste in a glass, it will be way too sweet later. (I speak from experience :eek:)

Normally you want to sweeten to a specific gravity.
Dry wine .990 - 1.000
Medium 1.000 - 1.008
Sweet over 1.008

Welcome to HBT!

I'm a total noob myself, have only done a few batches of wine and they pretty well get consumed before they get very old. But from all I read on here and in Terry Garey's "Joy of Home Winemaking," aging will help smooth out the harshness, but if your wine is dry it's gonna stay dry unless you sweeten it. I think if you stabilize it with campden and potassium sorbate you can go ahead and sweeten it and bottle it. Or you could rack it to a secondary, wait 3 months & taste it, then stabilize & sweeten. I have a pear wine in a secondary right now that tasted like Nyquil about 6 weeks ago, but it's starting to smooth out. I'm going to ignore it until around Labor Day and then taste it again. I'm hoping to bottle it sometime around then, let it age in bottles through the fall, and give as Christmas presents. Right now it's kind of flat; almost no tartness at all. When I check it in September I'm either going to adjust with acid blend if needed or try blending a sample with some apfelwein. Guess I'm saying you could bottle it now, but if you rack to a secondary for a while it keeps your options open.

Dont bottle, just batch age for 6 months to a year, then Taste before you bottle. It probably wont need sweeting. The kit companies have got it down and they make good drinking wine(if you follow direction) almost everytime.

As everyone's already pointed out, the wine will improve and 6 months is about the earliest you should be drinking it. Having said that, the WE Trinity White is by no means a sweet wine. Wine Expert makes sweeter wines but this one isn't it. If you decide to make another kit and you prefer sweeter wines, try a "mist-style" kit or one of the dessert wines.

You can backsweeten any time after you stabilize. I know it doesn't sound very appealing but you can successfully stir in sugar as you open each bottle. That way everyone can have the level of sweetness they prefer. Personally, I think the Trinity is a good wine as is.

If you want a sweeter wine make the Yakima Valley Riesling. My Daughter in law makes 2 kits a year of it and drinks every drop. Her Friends and her love it. All early 20's

Back