Late extract additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I am brewing a wheat today and if I were uisng LME, I'd be putting some of it in as a late addition (one can according to my recepie). But, my LHBS only had DME, so I'm substituting that. The late addition, does that only apply to LME or both DME and LME?

Any other issues I should be aware of substituting one for the other?

Late addition has advantages to reduce color darkening and hop utilization.
So, it doesn't matter if it is DME or LME. Another thing to consider is are you doing full boil (6+gallons) or partial boils. This would affect both color and hop utilization.

That makes sense. How does a late addition affect hop utilization? I have no flavoring hops in this one (it's a weizen), just bittering hops.

I'm going to add it in the last 15 minutes per my recipie, is that logical?

You need to cut back on your bittering hops if you do a late addition. May not matter too much for your wheat beer as hops play such a minor role. Last 15 min is perfect for the late addition.

Hmm. How much do I cut back? I'm using 1 oz of Hallertauer hops. Cut it by half? And do I put in the remaining bittering hops with the rest of the extract?

No, put them all in at the start of the boil. As far as how much...it depends on your boil volume and wort SG. There are programs like beersmith that can figure it for you. Roughly speaking, 25% less is a common figure people throw around. But for your wheat beer with low IBU's anyway, it probably wont matter.

An oz of hallertau isn't going to be all that bitter anyway.I wouldn't worry about it.

+1..it should be fine. I think it should be around 5% AA
The main thing for hefe is yeast... make you get the liquid if you want an authentic bavarian style hefe.

How much wort are you boiling?

I've been brewing this way for decades...

1 gal of water to 1 lb of DME...2 gals add in 2 lbs of DME...3 gals...you get the point.:D

Save the LME to the end and just steep it for 5 mins with the flame off.

I use 3AAs of hops per 5.25 gal batch.

Back