Une Terreur Sainte Chardonnay Oaked Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 70°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ 70°
Une Terreur Sainte (Partial Mash)
Une Terreur Sainte front.jpeguts 002.jpg

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 4.00 Wort Size (Gal): 4.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.118 Plato: 27.69
Anticipated SRM: 9.9
Anticipated IBU: 40.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
31.3 3.75 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row) Continental Eu 1.035 1
2.1 0.25 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
54.2 6.50 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
12.5 1.50 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear) Generic 1.046 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 36.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.75 1.5 15 min.
0.25 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 1.4 15 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.3 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)
2.00 Oz French Oak Cubes (MT) Other 30 Days(fermenter)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 4.00
Water Qts: 5.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Soaked oak cubes in Chateau St. Michelle Chardonnay before adding to secondary.

Very cool. I was really happy with how this beer came out. I just opened a bottle at new years and it tastes wonderful.

Keep us updated on this one. :mug:

Ended up with some crappy efficiency. My fault for not sparging enough. But ended with a OG. of 1.098.. Ah well. Do you think the Chardonnay added alot to the beer? Just wondering if its worth the trouble or if I should just oak it in the secondary.

Just transfered this to the secondary onto the oak cubes, FG ended up at 1.012. Thats 86% Attenuation, I could not believe it. Tasted very very good. It was definitely one of the craziest fermentations I have ever seen. Thanks for the great recipe!!:mug:

I made a belgian golden strong ale very similar to this that I aged with oak and blended with some chardonnay, basically copying Avery Brewing Co's Oak Aged Salvation. They did this beer small batch and I have only had it at the brewery a couple times. Mine came out really nice, been in bottles almost a month, can't wait until this beer comes into its own.

edit: my notes

14# Great Western 2-row
0.25# CaraMunich
0.25# Caravienne
1.5# Belgian Candi Sugar – clear (add w/ 10 min left in boil)

Est. OG 1.083, 5.5 gallons

Single Infusion, 1.5qt/lb, 151*F

Add 5.5 gallons of H20 at 161*F, settled at ~152-151*F, mash 60 min

Sparge w/ 3 gallons at 175*F, pre-boil volume ~6.5 gallons

60 min boil

1.25 oz Styrian Goldings (? Aa%, ~5%?) 60min
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings 10 min
1.75 oz Styrian Goldings 5min

OG 1.080
Pitched very large Wyeast 3797 Trappist high gravity yeast

9/23 Racked to secondary, SG 1.026, fermentation took back off after 12 hours, 1” krausen

my notes end here, it finished around 1.010, aged with 2 oz american oak for two months and blended with maybe 2 cups of Ferrari Carano Chardonnay when bottling. Ended up something like 9.1% ABV.

hey colorado,
You threw in the wine and oak right into the carboy? I am planning on doing this with my tripel but was thinking about soaking the oak in the wine first, draining and then using just the oak. How did yours come out? Would you oak it this way next time or did this do the trick?

I brewed a batch of this a few days ago and have it sitting in the primary. I noticed you listed 21 days in the primary. I thought the rule of thumb was not to leave it in the primary for longer than 2 weeks. Is there any reason to give it this extra period of time in the primary instead of racking it to the secondary a little bit earlier?

hey colorado,
You threw in the wine and oak right into the carboy? I am planning on doing this with my tripel but was thinking about soaking the oak in the wine first, draining and then using just the oak. How did yours come out? Would you oak it this way next time or did this do the trick?

I added the wine to the bottling bucket right before bottling after the beer had aged on oak. At first, the wine character was a little too strong, but it has faded a bit (had a bottle a couple months ago). Really depends on how strong a wine flavor you want, I added to taste in the bottling bucket but went a bit overboard. If you plan on aging it a while, i'd add wine to the beer.

I brewed a batch of this a few days ago and have it sitting in the primary. I noticed you listed 21 days in the primary. I thought the rule of thumb was not to leave it in the primary for longer than 2 weeks. Is there any reason to give it this extra period of time in the primary instead of racking it to the secondary a little bit earlier?

I usually leave almost all my beers in primary for 3 weeks or more...lets the yeast finish up fermenting and clean up their mess. Especially important with big beers like these, and slow working belgian yeast strains...

Back