Big Bad Barleywine Yeastie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
So my next brew up for selection is the Rogue Old Crustacean Barleywine clone. This would be my first attempt at brewing over 10% abv. I'm going about 75% grain 25% lme and only brewing a 3 gallon batch. I guess my question is what type of yeast to use? I currently have 1 sachet of US-5, US-04, and US-33 high gravity yeast. I really dont want to use the US-33 as the yeast produces some noticable esters and I want this to be clean.

All being said, could I get away with 1 satchet of US-04 or 5?

Out of the yeasts you listed I would use two of us-05. However, of all yeasts, you should harvest or purchase pacman and make a large starter. IMO, pacman is AWESOME at attenuating high gravity ales.

thanks for the reply. I have a porter brewing and is about complete using US-04. Could I just reuse the complete yeast cake??

I know its not on your list, but the barleywine i currently have in the secondary was made with wlp-001, and when the wife racked and tasted it said it was pretty good. It also had 83% apparent attenuation, going from 1.110 to 1.018.

I would just go with the 05, probably get similar results.

I used Wyeast 1056. Basic stuff. It fermented very well, and is now aging along nicely. I think the limits listed for ABV limits of yeast are (as is anything) conservative.

I know its not on your list, but the barleywine i currently have in the secondary was made with wlp-001, and when the wife racked and tasted it said it was pretty good. It also had 83% apparent attenuation, going from 1.110 to 1.018.

I would just go with the 05, probably get similar results.

I had a Barley Wine with WLP001 (same as WYeast 1056) and it had great attenuation (I think 1.121 - 1.018) as well.

Of what you listed, use the 05.

Go with a pack and a half, though. You don't want to underpitch a beer this big and expensive only to let it condition for a few months and find some ugly yeast characteristics.

For my barleywine I did 1056 with a 3 liter starter, 4 weeks in primary, racked to secondary and pitched champagne yeast for 6 months. Bottle for > 4 months, turned out great. 1.124 OG 1.019 FG

Latest posts

Back