Less hops in full boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stig

Reaction score
Hi: Short time viewer, first time poster!!
I have made two batches of extract brew so far(NB Dunkelweisen kit,done, and NB Scottish 80 Schilling, in secondary) and followed the recipes except I used a full boil instead of a partial, as suggested by a friend who also homebrews. Well i just recieved Al Korzonas's Homebrewing book and in his recipes he suggests cutting back the amount of hops for a full boil and I am wondering...
1) does this effect IBU's of the finished product??
2) Is there some kind of formula to correct for full vs partial boil.
Also my friend says I'll get better tasting beer from a full boil vs partial, any advice would be welcome>>

When doing a full boil, you get better hop utilization due to the lower SG of the boiling wort, thus you end up with more IBUs in the finished product if you don't cut the hops back some. Many people will cut their bittering hops in half when converting from a partial boil to a full.

As far as formulas go, there are a bunch of them around...I just let Beer Recipator do the work for me, but ProMash or BeerSmith will do the job as well.

yeah youll get more ibu's with a full boil. Its the gravity that effects it, higher gravity boils yeild less ibu's and vice versa. i dont know the percentage difference, id say you get about 20 percent utilization (@ 60 min.) with a 3 gallon boil and 30-35 percent with a full 5-6 gallon. so reduce by at least 10 percent?

and i dont know if fuller boils=better beer, maybe they meant all grain beers= better then extract, but thats debatable too...:tank:

I can think of 3 advantages to doing full-boil extract brews. None are overwhelming advantages, but...

1. Easier to achieve lighter color in finished product.

2. Less likely to get carmelized extract flavor.

3. Can use less hops for bittering (slightly cheaper, slightly less trub)

Two disadvantages...

1. You need a larger, subtantially more expensive brew pot

2. You need to think more about evaporation rates to finish with the volume of wort you want, and you have to think about aeration.

Baron von BeeGee said:
:D I know you can spring $12-18 for some grain! Sure is tough knowing that cooler's sitting there vacant, isn't it??

It's OK--the keggle hasn't arrived yet, and I'll need some time farting around with the siphon tube, etc.

SWMBO has a very big birthday coming up, so pennies must be pinched in order to buy the gift she insists I shouldn't buy for her but will be not-so-secretly pissed if I don't. I probably need to throw a party too--that way, my beer supply will get depleted and it'll be partly her fault.

cweston said:
I can think of 3 advantages to doing full-boil extract brews. None are overwhelming advantages, but...

1. Easier to achieve lighter color in finished product.

2. Less likely to get carmelized extract flavor.

3. Can use less hops for bittering (slightly cheaper, slightly less trub)

Two disadvantages...

1. You need a larger, subtantially more expensive brew pot

2. You need to think more about evaporation rates to finish with the volume of wort you want, and you have to think about aeration.

3)and you need a way to bring the wort to a full rolling boil (as opposed to a full volume boil) im not sure many extract brewers use propane burners...
4)and you also need a way to cool to pitching temps...

Bjorn Borg said:
3)and you need a way to bring the wort to a full rolling boil (as opposed to a full volume boil) im not sure many extract brewers use propane burners...
4)and you also need a way to cool to pitching temps...

Full rolling boil vs full volume boil? Does this not make sense to anyone?

A "full boil" as the topic states is just that, full volume of the beer to be brewed. Which in turn needs to be boiled with a 'rolling boil'. So either way, he has to do a 'full rolling boil' with his 'full boil volume', which is in turn talking about the same item "Full volume boiling"

:ban::confused:

Mindflux said:
Full rolling boil vs full volume boil? Does this not make sense to anyone?

:ban::confused:

my stove must just suck...let me explain: if i didnt have my propane burner, i couldnt get 6 gallons to a full boil. I think you would get a better hot break with a 3 gallon rolling boil then a 6 gallon wimpy boil.

I use a turkey fryer burner and I use a copper wort chiller. Thanks for all the input!!!

Back