Legal to Homebrew in Missouri?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
My wife came across this article,

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/missouri.htm

Now she is stating that it is illegal to make homebrewed beer in Missouri because it states that you can only make "liquor" with alcohol, and non-alcohol beer. Since mine has alcohol in it, it must been illegal for me to make.

I'm trying to clarify what it means but can't since its worded weird. Can anyone clarify the homebrewing law for my state so I can explain it to others?

Thank you!

Well I would think if that were true, the stlbrews.org club would not be so public

I agree, that and the garage brewers and so on. I brew all the time and know its not illegal anymore, but it states that only non-intoxicating beer can be made. So thats the part that makes things confusing!

Read on...

The term "intoxicating liquor" as used in this chapter, shall mean and include alcohol for beverage purposes, alcoholic, spirituous, vinous, fermented, malt, or other liquors

And it says that no one is required to have a permit to produce intoxicating liquor for personal use.

Now she is stating that it is illegal to make homebrewed beer in Missouri because it states that you can only make "liquor" with alcohol, and non-alcohol beer. Since mine has alcohol in it, it must been illegal for me to make.

I'm trying to clarify what it means but can't since its worded weird. Can anyone clarify the homebrewing law for my state so I can explain it to others?

Thank you!

I hope the Federales don't catch BierMuncher in his trailer, down by the river, brewing beer in his basement (of the trailer). :D

I hope the Federales don't catch BierMuncher in his trailer, down by the river, brewing beer in his basement (of the trailer). :D

I saw a video of a guy with a storm retreat he dug out under his trailor. He climbed through a hole under his bed.

It looks to me that they just have a weird definition of beer vs. liquor.

If it's 3.2 % abw, it's beer. If it's anything over it's an intoxicating liquor. But since it says an intoxicating liquor can be a fermented malt beverage, let the wife know that you are still legal.

Back