Fermentation won't finish...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well, my honey wheat ale has been sitting in primary now for about 10 days and there is still a good layer of krausen on top that doesn't look anywhere close to subsiding. Fermentation was kinda slow at first but took off a lot better once i got the temp to 70-72. From there (i think this was more heat from fermentation) it jumped all the way up to 78! I lowered it back down to 70 but now fermentation seems stuck. What do you all think i should do to get it to finish out?

Have you been taking any hydrometer readings. I am assuming that you have. If it only has a few points to finish then I would say just go ahead and bottle if the gravity hasnt changed in the last few days.

I haven't been taking any gravity readings actually. Been waiting for the krausen to go down before i do.

the hydrometer never lies. also some yeasts will float around for a long time.

Yup, take a gravity reading. Sometimes there will be some krausen like stuff that remains on the top. Trust your hydrometer.

I normally always do trust my hydrometer just thought it was kinda weird how i had krausen for so long. My gravity is currently at 1.014 and the final is supposed to be at 1.011 so i'm sure it's done (added alcohol boost during the boil). I will just take my normal readings for a few days to ensure it isn't going any lower and in another week or two it will be ready to keg (that is, once a keg opens up for it).

Back