Less Hops in full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and am brewing my second batch toady.
I understand when boiling the full 5 gallons, you are supposed to reduce the hops. If the recipe calls for a 2 gallon boil, how much should I reduce the hops for a full 5 gallon boil?
Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't reduce the hops at all. Just watch the timing for bittering--last minute or so.

DocBob said:
I understand when boiling the full 5 gallons, you are supposed to reduce the hops. If the recipe calls for a 2 gallon boil, how much should I reduce the hops for a full 5 gallon boil?
A precise answer to that question depends on the OG of your wort...your utilization at 5 gallons will be much greater than at two, but exactly how much depends on the SG. Post that here, or you can use beer recipator to figure it out.

A rough rule of thumb would be to cut the bittering hops (60 minutes) in half and keep the flavor and aroma hops the same. A more exact calculation would be 60% as much bittering and flavor hops and the same amount of aroma hops. As EP says, the exact amounts depend on OG and timing.

Bear in mind that utilization only matters for total bittering. OG doesn't impact flavor and aroma levels.

Thanks for the input. And sorry, I forgot to mention the beer...it's an Enlish Brown Ale. The recipe says the O.G. should be 1.040-1.048.

A rough rule of thumb would be to cut the bittering hops (60 minutes) in half and keep the flavor and aroma hops the same. A more exact calculation would be 60% as much bittering and flavor hops and the same amount of aroma hops. As EP says, the exact amounts depend on OG and timing.

I hope I didn't screw up big time. I made a Taddy Porter. I did a full 5 gallon boil as instead of the 2 1/2 gallon that the recipe called for. I had heard somewhere to reduce the bittering hops by about 10% - so I did. I hope it is not too bitter to drink.

I tried to use the spreadsheet on The Brewery web site but I had trouble in one area. It had a choice of Extract, Extract with Specialty Grains, Partial Mash and All Grain. I am doing a Mini Mash and I assumed that was "Partial Mash" It asked me for "Sparge Runoff" I didn't know what to put in that. I did pour a couple of quarts on 160 degree water across the grain bag so I put in 1/2. Would that count as Sparge Runoff? :confused:
I ran the program using 2 1/2 gal boil and 5 gal boil as the only changed factors and I got 14 IBU Bitterness on the 2 1/2 and 26 IBU on the 5 gallon.
Could this be right? :confused:

I then cut the Bittering and the Flavoring hops exactly in half and got 13 IBU which is close to the 14 IBU that I should have had. This means, if I am doing this right, that I should have cut my Bittering and Flavoring hops in half instead of what I did. Is it possible that the boil volume makes that much difference?:confused:

Hello everyone: I'm from London, Ontario,Canada.

This is my first posting. I just found a place in London, Ontario, Canada, that will supply me with a 25 kg. bag of 2 row pale for $45.00, but you will have to go there and place an order in advance , money up front and returned if you don't receive order.

They order three or more times a year but if your patient and don't mind waiting
that's how you get the cheaper rate. As everyone knows the more you order the cheaper the delivery costs become.

I can't guarantee they can get you every thing you want but I do know for sure about the 2 row pale malt and it is not crushed.

Ahhh the place you were wondering is Danny's wine and Beer store on 127Hamilton rd. in between Colbourne and Adelaide on the south side of the road at Burwell st.

Prowler 13 said:
Is it possible that the boil volume makes that much difference?:confused:
Yes, it's possible, and it does. But I wouldn't worry to much...the diff between 90% and 60% probably really isn't that much, unless you're talking about a really high alpha hop.

madmax said:
Hello everyone: I'm from London, Ontario,Canada.

This is my first posting. I just found a place in London, Ontario, Canada, that will supply me with a 25 kg. bag of 2 row pale for $45.00, but you will have to go there and place an order in advance , money up front and returned if you don't receive order.
Welcome to the forum, and this is good info, but in this particular thread we're talking about hop utilization. ;)

Okay, I have figured out how to use the recipe spreadsheet. One more question please. :) :) :) :)
The recipe calls for bringing 2 1/2 gallons to 155 degrees and adding the grains (2-row & specialty) for 45 minutes. I drain the bag for a good time but with 4 lbs of grain, it must take out a quart or two of water. Does anyone know how much water 4 lbs of grain will soak up? Would this make my boil amount closest to 2 or 2.25 gallons?

Really? That's a relief. I thought it would be waaaayyyyy bitter. This is not a very bitter recipe anyway so I guess most people will like it better this way. Heck, I may decide I like it better and keep the "mistake" as part of the regular recipe.
I don't mean to gush, but thank you all very, very verrrryyyy MUCH!!:D

Prowler 13 said:
Okay, I have figured out how to use the recipe spreadsheet. One more question please. :) :) :) :)
The recipe calls for bringing 2 1/2 gallons to 155 degrees and adding the grains (2-row & specialty) for 45 minutes. I drain the bag for a good time but with 4 lbs of grain, it must take out a quart or two of water. Does anyone know how much water 4 lbs of grain will soak up? Would this make my boil amount closest to 2 or 2.25 gallons?
Most recipes are going to tell you to top off to 2 1/2 or 3 gallons after you've removed the grains and added the extract...whatever the recipe says to top off too before starting the boil is the boil volume you'll put into beer recipator.

I think I've lost control of my post!?!? :p No worries, it's an interesting conversation.

I ended up going with about 2/3 of the bittering hops (and left the finishing hops alone). Was I close on my 1.041 wort? I figured that wouldn't be too far off, but what was the "correct" amount when going from the called for 2-gallon to a full 5-gallon boil?

Back