Secondary Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the other regulator posts today got me worried. I picked up a used CO2 tank on eBay and didn't want to spend more money on a regulator. I had the secondary regulator pictured below, so I took it to my gas supply place and asked if I could use it. He said that he didn't see why not and sold me the post to screw in the side to connect to the tank.

I hooked it up and nothing exploded, but that doesn't mean it's safe. It is a Tap-Rite regulator, but doesn't have any model number on it. Their website says that their current secondary regulators are good for 3300 lbs, but I don't know how old this one is.

Is anyone familiar with this regulator or have an opinion on using it as a primary regulator?

regulator3.jpg

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the only reason they stamp a low limit on the secondary regs is because it comes with a hose barb on the high pressure port. They don't want anyone thinking they can make up a simple PVC hose set between a tank and the reg. BOOOOM! I'm pretty sure you're OK. You might want to think about changing that gauge out to a 0-30 or even 0-15psi range. You'll like it much better.

I'd say from the fact that you hooked it up and nothing exploded that you are safe. If that was a low pressure regulator, I'm pretty sure full tank pressure would have blown it away.

I too think its probably fine if it didn't blow up by now. Just watch it to make sure it holds a constant pressure.

Thanks for the reassurance. This setup is just for priming in my basement refrigerator and I wanted to keep the cost to a minimum. There is a 30 lb gauge laying around here somewhere. I’ll give that a try.

Back