Nottingham @ 62 deg =>OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I have my fermenter in the bathroom, like I always have...the door has been mostly closed, so heat from wood stove does not get therer...the temp is around 60 deg. I hope this is not too low

Should I worry ? Will this delay fermentation ? It has been 2.5 days w/no activity in airlock ..

kappclark said:
I have my fermenter in the bathroom, like I always have...the door has been mostly closed, so heat from wood stove does not get therer...the temp is around 60 deg. I hope this is not too low

Should I worry ? Will this delay fermentation ? It has been 2.5 days w/no activity in airlock ..

I'm currently fermenting Edwort's Haus Pale ale in my basement where it's 58 degrees (although the fermometer reads 62). I think you should be safe around 60 degrees.

Right off the Danstar Yeast website
The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer.

Looks like you're on the low end, but within the range.

Well, it has been since Saturday, and no activity in airlock - and I know this cheapo Pail has never gotten a good seal, so I carefully lifted the lid, and BEHOLD ! Frothy fermentation !!

I thank you for your feedback ... I should have just gone to the DanStar site...

I have gotten into the bad habit of anticipating the magic bubbler to start its thing, and get a little streesed when it doesn't go off like clockwork...

A valuable brewing lesson -- trust the process !

One other thing to bear in mind is that fermentation - as I understand it - generates heat. So if your ambient temperature is 60F, then the temperature of your wort/beer will be a few degrees above that. So it looks like your temp is right where you'd want it to be.

Back