Grain mill station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
This is my take on the grain mill station. What I wanted to do is be able to pour my grain in and turn it on and walk away and not have to hold it or pull the trigger. I also wanted it to be cheap to make and easily stored. This is what I came up with. I still have to add a router speed controller but once I do that I will be able to adjust the speed and just turn it on.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

I used this over the weekend for the first time and it worked great. Still need the speed controller.

I use a 1/2" D-handle drill from Harbor Freight. Has speed dial on it and is already a low RPM drill. Works great.

Yes got it the speed controller at HF. I even cut down the power cord on the drill so I didn't have any extra cord. The shoes will cost you 1 retirement and 1 address in a retirement community in Florida.

If its possible to adjust the speed of the drill and lock it in place why do you need a speed controller? Just wondering how useful it would be.

It does look like a nice setup though. I want to put a motor or a drill on my barley crusher, I am still conflicted on which one to go with.

If its possible to adjust the speed of the drill and lock it in place why do you need a speed controller? Just wondering how useful it would be.

It does look like a nice setup though. I want to put a motor or a drill on my barley crusher, I am still conflicted on which one to go with.

Some patience and a zip tie might work.

I thought of the zip tie on the trigger but the trigger is angled and I was worried about the zip tie slipping off over time. I also got the controller for xmas so it was no cost to me.

If you want to use a zip tie you could file/cut a notch in the trigger to keep the zip tie in place.

Very nice setup. I have a more or less permanent milling station but as of late I've been showing a lot of friends how easy it is to go all grain. Having such a nice portable station would be cool. I think I'll put together a copy of your idea next week. Good job...

I don't know the exact rpms but i just set it so that it isn't going to fast.

Back