New to wine making-Fig Wine help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I'm new to wine making, (Have a few Beers under my belt tho) and I decided to try my hand at a Fig Wine since I have so many on hand this time of year.

I currently have the ingredients sitting in a brew bucket and have recently added the campden tablets.
Ingredients are as follows (2 gallon batch):
8 lbs chopped fresh common figs
3.5 lbs sugar (table sugar)
3.5 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 campden tablets
2 gallons water

I will be adding the yeast tomorrow (Red Star Cote Des Blanc)

My question is, does the primary fermentation have to occur in the small necked glass containers I bought for secondary fermentation also or can I do the primary fermentation in the bucket everything is sitting in?

Also, I do plan on back sweetening at least half the wine later, using the advice I found on the forum with fruit juice instead of sugar (Going to try to find some good fig juice, if not that then I'll have to find something else). The instructions I found say to sweeten during the last re-racking after the addition of stabilizer.
What should I use as a stabilizer? Would another campden tablet work?

Thanks for the help!

I've got a 5 gallon batch of fig wine ready to be bottled probably next weekend. My ratio of fruit to water was about the same, but I think I used more sugar than you. My OG ws 1.090. It tore through primary fermentation in about a week and went right to 0.990. I stabilized and backsweetened with table sugar to 1.020ish.

I did do primary fermentation in a bucket because if you do it in a jug the fruit fills up with air bubbles and tries to squeeze out the top in a fruit-volcano of doom. You want to punch down this cap off fruit every day or so. You'll want to do with any real-fruit wine.

What did you stabilize with though?

for 5 gallons.... 5 tbls sorbate and 5 campden tablets. Campden is pretty good for wild yeasties but doesn't kill the lab-created wonderments what we use to brew with. The sorbate is what puts that stuff down like old yeller. That being said, make sure you let it sit a week or so after stabilizing to ensure no new fermentation and to let some of the sulfur smell air off.

Latest posts

Back