**** Fermentation won't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Any ideas why?

I did my first all grain batch, I forgot to check to see if the starches converted. I held the mash at 150 for 60 minutes, so I would think the starches converted.

My gravity after a 60 minute boil was 1.053 (right on the dot to my recipe). I cooled it as much as I could (between 75 and 80 - ran out of ice). The White Labs WLP001-California Ale sat out for approx 6 hours to come to room temp (80).

The wort was airated while I poured into the carboy plus I shook the hell out of it for a few more minutes. Pitched the yeast. Then airlocked it and placed the carboy in my freezer (temp controlled at 68 degrees). It has been in there since Weds the 4th at around 5 or 6 pm.

Not one bubble!!!

Any ideas why?

Did you make a yeast starter? If not, that could be the reason. I never ever evar use liquid yeast without first making a starter (2-liter, with at least 6oz of extract). I've had liquid yeasts take over 72 hours to start (back before my militant stance on starters)...especially the White Labs vials---I've had some of them never start. The pitching temp was okay. You might not have aerated quite enough, but that's debatable (I urge you to get an aeration or oxygenation kit in the future). So I think it's the lack of starter.

I decided not to make a started cause i am doing half batches (so I can full boil on my stove) and thought the vial would have enough yeasties for 2.81 gallons. This is the first time using White Labs vials (not too happy with them right now), I've used Wyeast (going back to them) in the past and would get fermentation within 8 - 12 hours with the same aeration technique. Planning on buying a oxygenation kit in the future.

So you think I should wait it out or go buy another batch of yeast (Wyeast) and pitch again?

I'd give it three days after pitching. If nothing happens...pitch more. With that batch that took 72 hours to start, I went to the local brewpub on the third day and scored some yeast to repitch---and when I got home that night and pulled back the blanket, it had already started with the original yeast. SO...you never know.

no starter(or yeast cake) with liquid yeast generally takes at least 48 hrs to get going, regardless of the size of the batch.

uglygoat said:
no starter(or yeast cake) with liquid yeast generally takes at least 48 hrs to get going, regardless of the size of the batch.

Never had that problem with Wyeast... 8 to 12 hours is all it took.

Oh well... Ill just wait it out :)

Interesting. I have never had a problem using liquid yeats wyeast or white labs. I started using starters but lately I have not. I just brewed a Hefe yesturday and pitches a wyeat pack that was not even swollen. She started up within 6 hours. I go with the other guys and give it some time. If no action then pitch more.

I have never had a problem with Wyeast either (8-12 start times), but I happen to go to a different LHS for my supplies and all they carried was White Labs. But this vial of WL is taking fooorrrreeevvveeeerrr :)

Now on if I use WL I will make a starter. Wyeast I won;t worry about...

When using liquid yeast, check the packaging date of the yeast you are buying and try to buy the freshest yeast you can. Sounds obvious I know, but as those vials and packets sit in the cooler at your LHBS, those yeast are slowly losing viability. I bought a pack of liquid yeast one time and did not check the date. When I finally used it to make my starter, nothing after 2 days:( . The packaging date was about 6 months prior to when I tried to use it.

Dr Malt:mug:

Cregar said:
I have never had a problem with Wyeast either (8-12 start times), but I happen to go to a different LHS for my supplies and all they carried was White Labs. But this vial of WL is taking fooorrrreeevvveeeerrr :)

Now on if I use WL I will make a starter. Wyeast I won;t worry about...
always use a starter if you have the time...then you have a guarantee and you won't have to worry about your fermentation like you are right now.

wyeast is kinda nice because the smack pack bulges, which let's you know there's viable yeast, but i still prefer a starter every time.

I think this thread is a great example of 'hit and miss' with liquid yeast and not creating a starter in advance. Plenty of people have success...plenty of people have minor issues from lag time to just plain stuck fermentation (or it never even starts).

I think if you want to hold true the cardinal rule of brewing (don't worry, relax, have a brew) then its just best to make a starter...at the very least you gauge the viability of the yeast.

for the same reason i rehydrate all my dried yeast, rather than sprinkle it on top the wort and hope its good.

Well fermentation finally started Friday night and starting flowing out of the airlock Sat night.

Thanks for all the advice :)

fermentation.jpg

I figured it was going to start, but I'm not used to waiting 2 days. First time I have done a all grain and first time I used White Labs :)

I started a porter kit. Used the yeast packet that came with it.

Four days later, it still hadn't started. The sg was 1.060 and the temp 68 degrees. I figured I got dead yeast. I reboiled the wort, chilled it quickly to 70 degrees and pitched prehydrated fresh ale yeast.

Three days later it still hadn't started. sg still 1.060. I rehydrated a different ale yeast packet and over time added small amounts of the wort until I had about a gallon in with the new yeast. Also added yeast nutrient.

Two days later, it still hadn't started. sg still 1.060. I added the lees from a primary ferment on lager yeast.

A day later, still not bubbling. What did I do wrong?

I have been making wine for over 20 years and beer on and off for about 10. Never had beer take more than 2 days to start

You're playing with it too mch!!! LEAVE IT ALONE!

Get your temp to about 68-72 and don't touch... Bubbles aren't that big of a deal... Messing with it is bad...

I know it's been said but do a starter, do a starter, do a starter.
I like just seeing the starter flask bubbling I know brew day I soon and I start to get pumped. Just brew my Kölsch last night finished at around 9pm. Woke up at midnight to pee out some homebrew, went to check on my fermentation temp and already ha rapid fermentation.

Just do it. Do it.

Back