Will bottled beer carb if under 70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwerth

Reaction score
This is my first 'big' beer with an OG of 1.087

The recipe says it is ready in two months...I think yeah right.

I had it in primary for a little more than 2 weeks, 2ndary a little more than three weeks. Which I think is still kinda quick based on what I've been reading.

I've left it in the bottles with boiled / cooled priming corn sugar for about 5 weeks. The temperature in the room has always been 65 - 75. When I opened my first one yesterday I got a slight psst but the beer was flat. It kind of tasted nice for me messing it up and not using bags to filter things..i was a little surprised....but i'm learning :)

anyway

should I just leave it...not like i have another choice i guess

As long as you bottled and capped properly ALL beer will eventually carbonate, just give it time and try to keep the bottles above 70 degrees, the colder they stay the longer it takes

How much priming sugar did you use?

recipe said 2/3 cup for 16oz of water

so i used more than that cuz I used to watch 'Tim Taylor'...

sorry i have to be a jack ass sometimes....just hope to get a few smiles

i really can't remember but it was something like that...everyone has their own opinion on the exact amount i probably cludged a few opinions and went with it.

As long as you bottled and capped properly ALL beer will eventually carbonate, just give it time and try to keep the bottles above 70 degrees, the colder they stay the longer it takes

:) i hate the longer it takes...i wanna share cool beers now!

i was so happy when my house had a great fermenting temp....

electic blanket for the bottles for a week....for next time?

If it has been in bottles for 5 weeks at 70 degrees I`m sure it is carbonated.
What I think you should do is put it in the fridge for at least a week before
drinking.Over my brewing career I`ve found that homebrew needs to rest
(cold condition) for a while before you get the right taste and fizz that you
are looking for.Others may disagree,that is just my experience in 12 years.

cheers

So you used 2/3 cup total for 5 gallons? That should prime. Caps on tight? 65-75 is a good temperature.

My ginger beer came out way over carbed. If I get it cold, it doesn't fizz out as much. Cold takes away fizzynes.

duboman said:

Revy is that you? But seriously, the higher the gravity beers take longer to carb. It may take months for them to properly carb. You just have to give them time. Toss a test bottle in the fridge (for 4 days or so) every two weeks till the beer is conditioned and carbed, then toss in the rest.

recipe said 2/3 cup for 16oz of water

i really can't remember but it was something like that...everyone has their own opinion on the exact amount i probably cludged a few opinions and went with it.

next time, use an online priming calculator to figure out how much sugar (or other priming agent) to use. i like http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html and http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ but there are plenty others to choose from.

For me...anytime I break 1.070 I know I have to leave them for 5 weeks. After that, its 2 weeks in the fridge...try putting only a few beers in the fridge at a time...put 3 in at 5 weeks, 6 in at 6 weeks, etc.

That way, if they were not carbed you only lose a few, at 6 weeks room, 2 weeks fridge, they should be carbed. After that, your patience will be rewarded since you get to taste your brews over a few months and see when they peak.

This literally just happened to me with a 1.076. The beer I put in at 5 weeks is barely carbed, but the 6 weeks and on are amazing. I still have 1 outside that just pasted 2 months and I bet it will be the best one.

This does seem a little off though as I use honey which generally takes longer...follow the calculators posted above and give it a little longer

Back