Done brewing for a bit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Guess I'm gonna have to take a break. 65 gals since the end of January.

Moving in August overseas, so can't take my beer with me. I have close to 15 gals bottled and 5 gals in a secondary, bottling this week sometime.

I really don't want to take a break, but my father's coming to visit for a few weeks and I won't be drinking much at all during that time, its getting hot as hell, bout to be too hot for even hefes and wits and gonna have to start packing up in a month or so. So, taking my first brewing hiatus.

Really sucks, I'm starting to get real good too. I have a lot of leftover ingredients, so I might be able to make another batch or two in June, but I've been doing 3 or 4 brews a month lately. Gotta find new hobby for a bit. Any suggestions?

seefresh said:
Guess I'm gonna have to take a break. 65 gals since the end of January.

Moving in August overseas, so can't take my beer with me. I have close to 15 gals bottled and 5 gals in a secondary, bottling this week sometime.

I really don't want to take a break, but my father's coming to visit for a few weeks and I won't be drinking much at all during that time, its getting hot as hell, bout to be too hot for even hefes and wits and gonna have to start packing up in a month or so. So, taking my first brewing hiatus.

Really sucks, I'm starting to get real good too. I have a lot of leftover ingredients, so I might be able to make another batch or two in June, but I've been doing 3 or 4 brews a month lately. Gotta find another hobby for a bit. Any suggestions?

WTF? I'm in an absolutely identical position. I'm moving abroad in August and need to take it easy on the brewing. At least I can still buy beer. :)

My other hobbies are gardening, food, mushroom hunting. :D

Maybe take up cycling, and then you could burn off the extra calories from drinking up the beer? :D

seefresh said:
I said a NEW hobby.

as far as cycling, not a bad idea. I have a nice offroad bike, maybe I should find some trails around here.

Good plan, did you know that a lot of hard core cyclist drink a couple of beers after a big ride to replace the carbs they burned, it really is a great after ride drink. Just don't drink it before riding, it really zaps your wind.

I kinda gave up playing computer games and started brewing... guess you could go the other way and take up gaming...

Chrus said:
I kinda gave up playing computer games and started brewing... guess you could go the other way and take up gaming...

Already do that as well, not computer though, ps3 and 360.

Current hobbies are guitar, gaming, brewing, cooking, sex and drinking... not bad, but gotta replace brewing somehow... still thinking biking's not a bad idea for the weekends.

seefresh said:
Already do that as well, not computer though, ps3 and 360.

Current hobbies are guitar, gaming, brewing, cooking, sex and drinking... not bad, but gotta replace brewing somehow... still thinking biking's not a bad idea for the weekends.

I dunno man, just about everything on that list could just be given a +1 to replace your lost brewing time. ;)

you can grow herbs or maybe perfect a small hop crop for your eventual return to brewing?

Maybe a label design process, with articulated efforts to make it last for the duration.

I've struck up a conversation with a brewmaster from the restaurant chain; Hops. He's invited me to the brewery to check it out and watch, perhaps you could look at home brewing from a different angle for awhile?

Maybe build a conical? Or design a sculpture for advanced brewing when you get back?

Brew soda? Build ships in beer bottles? Travel to beer related places....grow an addiction to sports?

Depends on where you are moving to overseas. If you like sports, theres usually a rugby club you could play with. Tour other breweries and partakes in samples that are not available in your home region.

Hiking, biking, sightseeing. If you want something related to beer, start collecting the odd and inbetween bottles. I've managed to pick up some interesting Belgain bottles in the last couple weeks, and I'm here in the States.

mizzoueng said:
Depends on where you are moving to overseas. If you like sports, theres usually a rugby club you could play with. Tour other breweries and partakes in samples that are not available in your home region.

Hiking, biking, sightseeing. If you want something related to beer, start collecting the odd and inbetween bottles. I've managed to pick up some interesting Belgain bottles in the last couple weeks, and I'm here in the States.

I've got a ton of pint sized flip top bottles and hefeweizen bottles over here. I'm keeping them for sure, they came with cool crates to. Here's one:

7564-Paulaner.jpg

seefresh said:
I've got a ton of pint sized flip top bottles and hefeweizen bottles over here. I'm keeping them for sure, they came with cool crates to. Here's one:

7564-Paulaner.jpg
I have a Paulaner rack also.

When I left Germany in 2004 the packers packed my FULL racks without any problems. They just wouldn't pack my mini-kegs...I packed them after they left by opening up their boxes from the bottom and repacked the kegs upside down, retaped and turned the box upright. Didn't lose a drop. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I have a Paulaner rack also.

When I left Germany in 2004 the packers packed my FULL racks without any problems. They just wouldn't pack my mini-kegs...I packed them after they left by opening up their boxes from the bottom and repacked the kegs upside down, retaped and turned the box upright. Didn't lose a drop. :D

Are you serious? They shipped your beer?!?!?! If that's true, I'm gonna continue brewing like crazy.

If only you could find a brewer where you are moving to that is going to be moving to where you are currently - you could just do a big swap!

Back