First batch of real beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dover157

Reaction score
After a few wines and 5 gal of Graff decided it was time to do a real beer. Hefewizen from extract seemed like a simple place to start so I used a recipe I was given here on the fourm.

6# Wheat DME
1oz of Hallertau @ 60 minutes
Wyeast 3068
1# of Carapils steeped

S.G. 1.051
Think I may have made a little mistake, but not to worried about it, while I had the extract and hops boiling I started adding water to my ale pail. Using an RO system rated a 150GPD it can take a while. Put some water in the bottom of the bucket and then at the last miniute I had the idea to put some ice in the bucket since the ice maker is hooked to the same RO unit is just cold good water. The mistake was not counting for the volume of the ice when I added the hot liquor..... What was supposed to be a 5 gal batch is now just under 6 well not much I can do about it now. Pitched when the wort was cool learned from others on here to poke a small hole in the swelled yeast package before cutting open so no yeast fountain, althought I thought that pacakge was going to burst on the counter. Used a blow off tube even though its in a bucket just incase. Fast foreward 12 hours and bubbles like crazy so I guess I did not mess it up to bad, moved into the bedroom to spend the next 3-4 weeks at a nice 65* instead of the 80-90 in the kitchen. Im sure it will taste fine, just may be a little thin, who knows I may have just invented a "Light" Hefewizen, I could be rich:rockin:

Sounds like you had a good first beer expierence. 2 cases and about 8 or so extras wont last long if you like to drink beer. Brew another one as soon as you can as it is hard to wait until the beer is at its peak to drink

Ok, just got home from work and came into the bedroom and took a look at this batch. I have two things to say to the forum.

1. You were not lying about the banna from this yeast, if I had not read here first I would have thought there was banna extract in the bucket. My room smells awesome.

2. Thank you all for always reccomending a blow off tube, without this advice I would have come home to a rather nasty mess all over my bed.
Hefe002.jpg

The tray under the jar was an after thought, and im glad its there, had I used an airlock I think I would be crying right now.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance.:mug:

Back