Amount of LME to add and adding water during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blence

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new brewer and I'm trying to figure out the best way to boil wort with LME. I've read the BYO article on better extract brewing (http://***********/component/resour...er 2005/10-10-steps-to-better-extract-brewing) as well as the article on different ways to boil extract (http://***********/stories/techniqu...ct-brewing/619-extract-method-to-your-madness). My general process has been: add 1/3 LME at beginning of boil with hops, then add remaining LME 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

So, here are my two questions:

1) Better Extract Brewing suggests that you don't want to evaporate much of your wort. In the current batch I'm boiling (right now, in fact), I've definitely lost more than 10% (of only 1/3 LME added to water). Could I just add more boiling water from a different pot while adding the remaining 2/3 LME? Is there any benefit to doing that?

2) It *seems* like the best way to boil wort is to add some small amount of LME to a large pot of boiling water and reserve the remaining LME until 15 minutes before the end of boiling. Is this true, and do people have different methods for different types of beer (ie hefe vs amber vs stout)?

Thanks!

I always add my extract late, like you I'll add approx 1/3 of the extract at the beginning (assuming this is an extract brew and not a partial mash), then only add the rest with about 15 min remaining. I do this for every style of beer, the extract will add a darker color to the beer if it's in the beer for the whole boil. You also get better hops utilization when adding the extract late.

I can't see any benefit to adding more water late in the boil. The bigger your boil is, the better your hops utilization will be, but I wouldn't mess with adding more water later. Evaporation is just a part of the boil, we compensate for it in full boils but you don't need to worry about it so much in the partial boils, just make sure you have an adequate amount of top up water handy.

I use a 5G SS BK. I've been boiling 2.5G of water,which reduces by a half gallon. So I may start using 3G even at the beginning to let it reduce to 2.5G. I add 3lbs of plain DME to LME cans,so I use 1.5lbs in the boil for my hop additions,no more than 25 minutes total. I do a 10 minute steep with the lid on for the last hop addition. Then add remaining DME/LME & stir to a froth. Cover & steep while it's still hot for 15 minutes to sanitize the added malts.
Then into an ice water bath with the lid on.

Back