Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new beer recipes are all named after classical composers or at least something to do with classical music. The first, il Canone (the canon), is the name of Paganini's Guarneri violin known for its brash sound. Good for a heavy brown IPA.

The next one is the Eroica Pale Ale, named after Beethoven's 3rd symphony, Eroica (heroic). This one will be a heroic American Pale Ale.

Granted, I haven't actually brewed these yet, but I've put together the basic recipes for these two plus one more, a honey weisen. After the holidays when my schedule calms down (and I have some $$), I'm buying larger capacity fermenters and a larger kettle so I can brew 3 gallon batches. These recipes are what I will start with.

These are also rough labels done up in photoshop without much thought as to size and what not...

Last edited:
OK, one more then I have to go nite nite. Late night photoshop + Lagunitis sumpin' sumpin' = nite nite.

Here is the label for my (upcoming) brown ale. Bringer of Jollity. Gustav Holst wrote a wonderful orchestral work called "The Planets." Jupiter is the Bringer of Jollity. So is this brown ale (hopefully).

giG6OyL.jpg

Debating on what to put on the left or right. Want the gov't spiel but also kind of want the story of Govenlock.

"Due to Montana's prohibition declaration in 1919 large groups of Americans traveled north from Montana to Govenlock by train after making it across the border.

Indicating that Govenlock had a promising future, the pioneer town had a chamber of commerce. But it was the liquor that fueled Govenlock's commerce. Four liquor warehouses were established to serve the booming liquor trade. With liquor, there was gambling and parties, attracting not only the thirsty folks from across the border, but many bachelors from all parts of Southwestern Saskatchewan who wanted to let loose.[6]

Over the years a pool room and dance hall which was a two-story building was built and owned by Henry Buss. During the early days of Govenlock, it was a place for Americans to meet and relax. As the Americans were waiting for their liquor orders, many would drop in, mingle with the business crowd in Govenlock, and settle down for a game of pool, and a game of high-stakes poker.

The revelry and good times were staples in Govenlock during their early days. The eager booze traders were also a staple in Govenlock. Americans would come to the pioneer town in their Fords, Studebakers, Packards, and Hudsons. The empty cars' rears were filled with sand bags until they filled up at the liquor houses. This was done to avoid suspicion when they rode empty of booze. The Canadian beer cost 12 cents per barrel and was said to be highly prized. Each barrel had three burlap sacks, with 24 four-quart bottles - wrapped in straw - in each sack. A barrel wholesaled for $24. When it reached the United States, it sold for $140. A carload of 14 barrels of beer and five cases of whiskey could fetch a profit of $2,500.

The bootlegging trade was good business for the next number of years and there were few legal hassles for the rumrunners. Mounties and provincial police would intervene to ensure that the liquor would end up in the hands of locals before crossing the United States border. Even a few of the Govenlock residents tried their hand at bootlegging, but they soon found out that more of the liquor was stolen than they could actually sell. To avoid legal problems, bootleggers would have to obtain a tourist pass at Canada border entry points.

When 1922 rolled around, so did the end of bootlegging that fueled Govenlock's prosperity. It was then that the Government of Saskatchewan announced it wanted better control of the liquor trade and restricted liquor export houses to cities with 10,000 people or more. This saw the start of a slow end of the once promising pioneer town of Govenlock. Over the years and one by one, stores and shops would soon close and residents would leave. In 1962 the only grain elevator left in Govenlock toppled and demolished. By 1990, rural municipality officials brought in the bulldozers and demolished the last of the remaining buildings that stood in Govenlock, including the old Govenlock Hotel. Today however the only building left is the community hall which was built in 1948. Also a commemorative plaque marks the area where Govenlock was located. It honors Govenlock's wild past and wild spirit of their hell-raising pioneer days.

Try condensing that into 3 sentences :p

I looked you up on Google Maps. You are in one remote location of South Scatch. I live in Ceylon. Another one of those close to border towns with a big bootleg history. Unlike Govenlock it is still struggling to survive. The bar is still open and about 100 people still call it home.

giG6OyL.jpg

Debating on what to put on the left or right. Want the gov't spiel but also kind of want the story of Govenlock.

"Due to Montana's prohibition declaration in 1919 large groups of Americans traveled north from Montana to Govenlock by train after making it across the border.

Indicating that Govenlock had a promising future, the pioneer town had a chamber of commerce. But it was the liquor that fueled Govenlock's commerce. Four liquor warehouses were established to serve the booming liquor trade. With liquor, there was gambling and parties, attracting not only the thirsty folks from across the border, but many bachelors from all parts of Southwestern Saskatchewan who wanted to let loose.[6]

Over the years a pool room and dance hall which was a two-story building was built and owned by Henry Buss. During the early days of Govenlock, it was a place for Americans to meet and relax. As the Americans were waiting for their liquor orders, many would drop in, mingle with the business crowd in Govenlock, and settle down for a game of pool, and a game of high-stakes poker.

The revelry and good times were staples in Govenlock during their early days. The eager booze traders were also a staple in Govenlock. Americans would come to the pioneer town in their Fords, Studebakers, Packards, and Hudsons. The empty cars' rears were filled with sand bags until they filled up at the liquor houses. This was done to avoid suspicion when they rode empty of booze. The Canadian beer cost 12 cents per barrel and was said to be highly prized. Each barrel had three burlap sacks, with 24 four-quart bottles - wrapped in straw - in each sack. A barrel wholesaled for $24. When it reached the United States, it sold for $140. A carload of 14 barrels of beer and five cases of whiskey could fetch a profit of $2,500.

The bootlegging trade was good business for the next number of years and there were few legal hassles for the rumrunners. Mounties and provincial police would intervene to ensure that the liquor would end up in the hands of locals before crossing the United States border. Even a few of the Govenlock residents tried their hand at bootlegging, but they soon found out that more of the liquor was stolen than they could actually sell. To avoid legal problems, bootleggers would have to obtain a tourist pass at Canada border entry points.

When 1922 rolled around, so did the end of bootlegging that fueled Govenlock's prosperity. It was then that the Government of Saskatchewan announced it wanted better control of the liquor trade and restricted liquor export houses to cities with 10,000 people or more. This saw the start of a slow end of the once promising pioneer town of Govenlock. Over the years and one by one, stores and shops would soon close and residents would leave. In 1962 the only grain elevator left in Govenlock toppled and demolished. By 1990, rural municipality officials brought in the bulldozers and demolished the last of the remaining buildings that stood in Govenlock, including the old Govenlock Hotel. Today however the only building left is the community hall which was built in 1948. Also a commemorative plaque marks the area where Govenlock was located. It honors Govenlock's wild past and wild spirit of their hell-raising pioneer days.

Try condensing that into 3 sentences :p

I looked you up on Google Maps. You are in one remote location of South Scatch. I live in Ceylon. Another one of those close to border towns with a big bootleg history. Unlike Govenlock it is still struggling to survive. The bar is still open and about 100 people still call it home.

Actually in Regina, but this being a prohibition lager, the story of Govenlock just made sense. Ceylon ain't too far. Me and a few guys from work collab in Moose Jaw all the time.

Not beer... but I made some homemade cream liqueurs. Will be taking these to a family holiday gathering/gift exchange. These labels will be printed on brown kraft paper and affixed to swing-top flask-style bottles. I made the borders from clip art curlicues that I found online.

CanadianMaple.png

KentuckyBourbon.png

I learned Illustrator this weekend and I'm so happy! This is the first label where I made everything on it (except for the mountain background and the govt. info)

The name is Yuki No Hi, which means "Snow Day" in English. And the barcode works on Untappd.

View attachment 382195

Nice job! Did you just learn illustrator on your own? Something I am interested in doing!

Thanks! Yeah, I did, I watched a video course over a few days and just played around with it. I forget the name but it was really interesting (I started Lynda or whatever it's called first but it was boring cause the pictures were not great, but informative) if your curious I can find out what it was called. Very interesting, and makes you stoked to go make something.

Nice, extra props for having a coherent color scheme and making the warning more interesting.

Well, I do it for a living, so if it didn't have a coherent colour scheme I'd likely be unemployed. As to the warning... well, have a big mouth as well! :D

This is the 12th evolution of a beer taste I have in my mind am am trying to reach in my homebrewing. Not there yet, but I'm getting closer with each batch :ban:

IMG_20170120_202342256_zpsbjjhfsaj.jpg

Back