yeast pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty13

Reaction score
brewed a partial mash cascadian dark ale yesterday and pitched the yeast (WL california ale) at 58 degrees due to forgetting to look at the temp when I poured the cooled wort into the water in the fermenter. It's now in the 64 degree range which is appropriate for ale fermentation. Will pitching at a lower temp do something to the yeast or will it be alright now that it's back to normal temp? I pitched at 4:30pm (MST) so it wasnt low for more that 8 hours I'd say. Thanks.

58F woulda been fine, may have just been a lil slower of a start. I wouldn't worry about it

Brewing at or near the minimum temp for the yeast being used is the norm for many. You get longer ferment times,but the beer is supposed to be better. That's what I did after a beginners snafu. But it can also depend on what kind of residual flavors you want in the beer. High temps produce different flavors than low temps.

thanks..it is actually starting to ferment. Just out of curiosity what are those different flavors produced with the varying fermentation temps of ale yeast?

Back