what to ferment in???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBuckeye

Reaction score
Hey All,
I am fairly new here and I have been pondering in my head a real system someday, but just wonderin on a few things. I would probably get old kegs and make the system since that would be big enough, but I was just wondering what you used to ferment in?? I live on a farm and we have a bunch of 20-30+ gallon drums laying in the barn, but not sure if those would work since I would be limited in quantity due to kegs for boiling with....

Just tossing ideas around I guess...

Another Buckeye! from other state, I'm new as well. Since I'm cheap I'll be using plastic buckets that I got for free.

Another Buckeye! from other state, I'm new as well. Since I'm cheap I'll be using plastic buckets that I got for free.

Please make sure, as Colo said, that the buckets are made of food-grade plastic. Many plastic buckets that look identical to the ones used for fermenting are not meant to deal with food or beverages, and the acidity of beer in particular can leech chemicals from the plastic.

In order of best to worst, my opinion on fermenting vessels is as follows:

Stainless Steel (Conicals or kegs)
Glass (Carboy or demijohn)
Plastic (Better Bottle or Food Grade bucket)

Back