Which Temperature controller did you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surreal_trip

Reaction score
As the title asks. Which do you use? and why do you use it?

I'm going to be putting together a couple of keezers for lagering and for servind... I need some tips on what hardware I should use!

I have a Love and a Johnson. I use the Love on my kegerator mounted on a panel so I can see the temp from behind the bar. I use the Johnson for my fermwraps. Both work great! The only reason for different brands was the different form factors.

I had a Ranco on my Keezer. It worked great for about 4 years. But I had to unplug it recently (since it was empty, hadn't brewed in a year or 2, didnt see the point of running it with no beer in it) got back into brewing, plugged it back in after a few months and got the old E2 error. So now I need to replace it. After reading so many issues with the Rancos I am going to get a LOVE to replcae it. I have not seen one single report about a LOVE controller failing

I had a Ranco on my Keezer. It worked great for about 4 years. But I had to unplug it recently (since it was empty, hadn't brewed in a year or 2, didnt see the point of running it with no beer in it) got back into brewing, plugged it back in after a few months and got the old E2 error. So now I need to replace it. After reading so many issues with the Rancos I am going to get a LOVE to replcae it. I have not seen one single report about a LOVE controller failing

I keep hearing this, but... Rancos are probably used 10 to 1 over loves for keezer control. So there's obviously going to be a higher fail rate, which I believe if someone did an actual study would be a very low percentage. And there no telling how many failures are the fault of the user.

I have a digital Ranco. Single stage. Digital. One degree differential. Easily wired. and only cost about $50.

I keep hearing this, but... Rancos are probably used 10 to 1 over loves for keezer control. So there's obviously going to be a higher fail rate, which I believe if someone did an actual study would be a very low percentage. And there no telling how many failures are the fault of the user.

I understand that. But in my situation right now, the LOVE is cheaper than the Ranco, and as I said, I have seen no complaints at all about the LOVE controllers. I liked my Ranco. it worked well and did its job. I just don't like the failure rate I've been seeing out of them. So im gonna try something different this time

I have used the analog Johnson, the Ranco, and several LOVE controllers.

I hands down prefer the LOVE. I suggest the LOVE TSS2-2100 for fermentation control. It is dual stage so you can control heat and cooling with a single probe. The TS2 is good for a keezer because it will always be below ambient.

I prefer the LOVE controllers because they provide a lot more flexibility in programming, and look about a million times better (IMO). The only downside is more advanced wiring is required.

I still use a ranco on my keezer and it works just fine. I just prefer the LOVEs.

There is a really good thread here for programming the LOVEs if you search "LOVE 2008+"

I've been using a Love controller for about 18 hours and so far I really like it. Wiring it up was really easy and programming it was simple too.

i have 2 johnson a-19s one on my keezer and one for my garage fridge for cold crashing / fermetning. My plan is to buy a ranco dual stage controller when my fermentation chamber is done. That way i can heat and cool with the same instrument.

I use a Ranco digital for my chest freezer. I ferment with it to keep my carboy at 68 or 66 degrees, depending what I am fermenting. I need it in Florida, room temp can get so hot even in winter it is in the upper 70's. I also use it to keep my kegged beer at 38 degrees. I love it, never had a problem, very reliable and very easy to program and use.

After weeks of research I decided to buy a Love for the following reasons:

- Cheaper
- More programing options
- Neater interface (can be fitted to a keezer collar instead of hanging outside)
- Seems to be extremelly reliable

It does require some wiring, which can be a challenge for someone like me, but there is enough help here that I feel confortable making the move.

After weeks of research I decided to buy a Love for the following reasons:

- Cheaper
- More programing options
- Neater interface (can be fitted to a keezer collar instead of hanging outside)
- Seems to be extremelly reliable

It does require some wiring, which can be a challenge for someone like me, but there is enough help here that I feel confortable making the move.

Yup, I'm leaning towards the Love controller myself... It seems to be the best choice and the most readily available critter of its type in Ontario!

I have a ranco single stage for kreezer and the ebay aquarium dual stage for my fermentation mini fridge. I like both but I like the ebay 1 better maybe because I asked the question about it first or maybe because its a dual stage and it was like $30 back when I got mine. The only downside to it is it only reads in Celsius.

The only downside to it is it only reads in Celsius.

That would be a plus for me! As anyone in the world, but Americans, I'm used to metric units, which makes more sense IMHO. I'm buying my Love in ºC, not in ºF. I like the simple fact that freezing means zero degrees in ºC. Besides, ºC is more elegant :D

That would be a plus for me! As anyone in the world, but Americans, I'm used to metric units, which makes more sense IMHO. I'm buying my Love in ºC, not in ºF. I like the simple fact that freezing means zero degrees in ºC. Besides, ºC is more elegant :D

Oh yeah.....Well, "C" you!!!

I have one from chicompany that sells for $39. I've had it for around a year and a half with no problems.

Back