Would you ferment in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the latter stages of compiling all of my equipment for my 11g Brutus Ten clone, and I ran across this today:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/2021895386.html

Immediately I thought fermenter because I love stainless and how easy this would be to clean but I also love the idea of fermenting all in one batch rather than in a couple different carboys.

Anyway, say this is 20 gallon... is there too much headspace in there for an 11 gallon batch? Is this something I should be concerned with?

My only concern would be the lid assembly and how you could seal her up. Otherwise it looks like a nice fermenter!

My only concern would be the lid assembly and how you could seal her up. Otherwise it looks like a nice fermenter!

Uggg. Sealed lids are not necessary.

I would, however, modify the bottom port with a stem to get the inlet above the cake. Have it threaded or slip fitted for easy change outs depending on batch size.

Otherwise, it's a bit spendy, for a fermenter, when you can get a similar sized conical for a bit more.

Uggg. Sealed lids are not necessary.

I would, however, modify the bottom port with a stem to get the inlet above the cake. Have it threaded or slip fitted for easy change outs depending on batch size.

Otherwise, it's a bit spendy, for a fermenter, when you can get a similar sized conical for a bit more.

Let's say I could get it for the equivalent of $150.

uggg. Sealed lids are not necessary.

omg gila! One more post and you're in the 20k club!!!

Any other opinions on this? Should I pull the trigger or just stick with the carboys and spend the $$ on something else, like another March pump I need to finish the brew stand?

If you trust your handiwork, then you could do lots of cool things with that, but if you're like me (very imaginative, very unskilled) then it's probably best to leave it alone.

I always wondered if every homebrewer were as much a scavenger as I am.

That is a cool looking tank!

The headspace is just fine for 10 gal ferments.

Now specific to the tank, you may want to consider the space it takes up, and how you will control the ferments.

For the cash involved, you can pick up a pump AND fermentation temp controllers.

Your brew will benefit most with temp control, and the pump will make things just so much easier.

If fermenting in stainless is important to you, try cornys for small batches (4.5 gal or less).

For bigger ferments, try it in sankes. Lots of threads on both here on hbt.

Is headspace really an issue? I have been thinking lately (just thinking, no real studying or information gathering yet) about trying open air or open vat fermentation. If you were to do that, wouldn't your headspace essentially be infinite?

As for headspace in a closed container, why would doing a 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon vessel be an issue? You're going to aerate before pitching anyway, so you're introducing either room air or pure oxygen. Then you seal the container and put an airlock on it. As fermentation begins, CO2 is pushed out of the beer and into the headspace, CO2 being heavier than air, wouldn't it just essentially push the lighter "air" out through the lock? I guess if you were really worried, you could purge the stainless vessel with a shot of CO2 before you transferred. Then with your transfer hose at the bottom, the beer would at least be going into a CO2 environment.

Back