Wine Rack Plans???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
I would like to build a very simple wine rack. I've seen the boxes with dividers in them but it gets difficult when you start introducing champagne or belgian or other odd shaped bottles. I'm looking for some simple dimensions for something like this.

winerack.jpg

Another reason I am liking this design is because I have the tools to do it. I don't have a table saw which would be needed for the box style racks.

Anyone done these before?

Nice simple design. :) I would prob just measure a large bottle and make the compartment size slightly larger and go by that. You probably don't need specifics to make something like that.

I have a very simple plan for a 36 bottle wine rack - similar to what you posted. PM me your email address and I'll send you the material/cut list and a photo.

A few people have asked for the material list for the wine rack I posted, so here you go. This is very simple to build - all straight cuts & I didn't even sand or stain.

Wine Rack Finished size: 24" x 36" x 11"

Wood Cut Size
1 x 4 (nominal) Risers, Qty 4 @ 3/4 x 3-1/2 x 36
1 x 4 (nominal) Shelves, Qty 12 @ 3/4 x 3-1/2 x 22-1/2
1 x 2 (nominal) Runners, Qty 42 @ 3/4 x 1-1/2 x 11

Total Linear Feet Needed:
1 x 4's: 34.5 feet
1 x 2's: 38.5 feet

Hardware
1-1/4" finishing nails: Qty 166 (4 per runner)
#6 x 1-1/2 wood screws: Qty 48 (4 per shelf)

Build Notes:
Shelf Assemblies: Nail 1x2's to 1x4's with 2" spacing between runners.
5" spacing between shelves.
Bottom shelf 2" from floor.
Screw shelves to risers using #6 wood screws.

SWMBO drinks wine, so I keep her supplied and she lets me brew. She did, however, like the last two summer beers I made. She may be coming around. :mug:

Ehhh I see a growler up there, that counts!

Thanks for the detailed material list, I will definitely be building this once I get my ferment/wine cellar built.

Just built a version of greyhounds rack and made it a bit larger. It will hold 84 bottles and is extremely sturdy. Whole thing was less than $40.

Im nearly finished with my wine rack. About 400+ bottles on a dedicated wall. I'm using 1x2 firring strips and a brad nailer to anchor everything. Will post pictures tomorrow but its nearly identical to what the op showed for example.

The wine rack I've made have utilized round grooves that support the bottle at the neck and the base. This is NOT a design you want to replicate. There isn't enough friction between the wood and the bottle to hold the bottle in place. With vibration the bottles can slip off the rack.

The nice thing about the racks shown here is that there is plenty of contact between the bottle and the rack (in both cases the furring strips in contact with the sides of the bottle). This is the way you want it.

I know you guys already have this figured out, I thought I would tell you what doesn't work in case somebody is considering this sort of idea....:)

What about PVC Pipe (sized appropriately of course 3" up to 6" for whatever bottle diameters you have)??...my dad built one like this in a hutch for my sister...cut the PVC with a chop saw (fine tooth, slow) and stacked and glued the pipes together on top of each other. Of course you'll need a box or frame to frame it but it works slick...a little bit of a paint and it really looks nice. Of course, the looks are all in the effort of design and construction.

We have more than 100 items made ​​from barrels for decoration
indoor gardens and pubs. And we have a big amount of bbq chips to
infuse and intensify the flavours and aromas of the some of spiritual
drinks like wine, whiskey, brandy.enter in our page http://woodbarrelshop.co.uk/
sultana-wine-rack-table.jpg

Just built a version of greyhounds rack and made it a bit larger. It will hold 84 bottles and is extremely sturdy. Whole thing was less than $40.

I was considering making it bigger. Did you end up using the 1x4's like GreyHound said he used? I'm afraid that the weight of the wine would be too much if I made it wider. If I knew that the 1x4s would handle the weight, I would make it 8 feet wide so that I could better use all of the wood.

I did use the 1x4's in his plan. The only thing I changed in his plans was the height. Be forewarned that when you make it larger, it gets pretty stinking heavy even when empty.

I did use the 1x4's in his plan. The only thing I changed in his plans was the height. Be forewarned that when you make it larger, it gets pretty stinking heavy even when empty.

I believe it. I think I'll stick to his plan and just make it ~48" tall. Hopefully it won't be too heavy. Thanks!

A few people have asked for the material list for the wine rack I posted, so here you go. This is very simple to build - all straight cuts & I didn't even sand or stain.

Just a shout out to Greyhound for posting this way back when. The plans worked great, thank you.

20181112_115217.jpg

Just a shout out to Greyhound for posting this way back when. The plans worked great, thank you.

View attachment 597484

MVD, I'm glad it worked out for you.

I haven't brewed in nearly 2 years and have been inactive on this site, but I'm planning to brew a Rye IPA very soon, so I jumped back in here to see what I've missed. It was nice to see I was able to help out. The wine rack looks great.

Back