Stuck Braggot Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodor_Baggins

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping I could get a little bit of advice . . .

I have a braggot in my fermenter right now that seems stuck at 1.037. It's been there for several weeks now, even after pitching some champagne yeast and a bunch of nutrients two weeks ago. It started with an O.G. of 1.110 so that's an apparent attenuation of ~66%. Temps have been in the mid-high 60s.

I'm a little worried about bottling this for multiple reasons: With that high of a F.G. I'm afraid I'll get bottle bombs, has the yeast reached it's limit therefore preventing carbonation? I brewed this on July 26th, will there be enough yeast left to carb this up? Should I just RDWHAHB and bottle this up tonight?

Thanks in advance!

Champagne yeast is a slow fermenter. I doubt the yeast has reached it's ABV limit, but there might not be any sugars simple enough for them to process. Honey also makes for slow finishes. I've seen meads take 6-8 months to go from 1.020-> 0.995

What was your original yeast?

I originally made a 1L starter of Pacman on a stirplate and then bumped it up to 1gal, which wouldn't fit on my stir plate, but I shook it whenever I walked by. I've had higher alcohol brews than this ended up from pacman too, so I'm not sure that it has hit it's limit . . .

what were the original nutrient (especially yeast energizer) additions like?

did you hydrate and proof the champaign yeast, or just add it dry? you'll likely need to proof it or even make a mini starter to get the yeast active and metabolizing sugar, lest the ABV of the braggot simply keeps them asleep (or dead).

Hodor, how did this turn out for you? I'm in a similar predicament.

this is exactly my story too! i brewed the hefty braggot on 10Aug2010 with an OG of 1.110 and after about 3 weeks it got stuck to 1.040.. Now its mid November, 3+months in the demijohn and nothing.

I used the Lalvind47 as recommended by Schramm and I am going to repitch the EC1188 champagne yeast especially used for stuck fermentations and see how it goes.

On the bright side, the pH is arouns 4.1-4.2, it has an incredible aroma, very tasty, beautiful colour and I reckon its going to be a masterpiece if it gets done to 1.018!
It needs too, because the 200gr of hops and sweet liquor taste dont stand up together..

please let us know Hodor how it went for you..

I used Cote des blanc. It stopped at 1.030 so I added a partial pack of Montrachet. It was sitting in my closet in the finished basement so the temp on the stick on thermometer was about 64-66. I put it in my fermentation fridge with a heating pad the other day and I'm warming it up. It's at 69 now. I may go up to 75 but I'm not sure. I'm going to pick up some energizer soon to see if that'll help.

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to respond . . . I ended up bottling at 1.037 It's super sweet, but really tasty. Only carbonated a little bit. I only would want one bottle at a time, but that one bottle is really good (esp. sitting on top of a mountain)

Back