Surprisingly tame second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawaiianHippie

Reaction score
Aloha al!

A few weeks ago, we made a 5 gallon batch of a generic hefeweizen, with the intent of adding Lilikoi to it after primary fermentation.

The initial fermentation went as expected, VERy active, stuff flowing from the BOT for 2 days. We let it sit in the carboy for 2 weeks (had to wait for the other batch of unrelated beer to get bottled before we had a carboy available for racking).

We racked the hefe into a second carboy, topped it off with a bit of water, and added 3 cups of pasturized Lilikoi. We had prepared the Lilikoi previously by juicing it through a dish towel and freezing it. We pasturized it at 160-170 degrees for half an hour.

We expected, and research led us to expect, another very active, but short-lived, fermentation. What we got was just a few bubbles. We stirred the beer a few times across the following week, but still never got much activity.

At the end of 1 week in the secondary, I pulled a sample and tested the gravity. 1.010. Which isn't very useful, since I didn't take any readings to compare it to earlier. It tasted like a slightly green Lilikoi hefeweizen, though.

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks in the secondary. Assuming the gravity is steady, shall I rack, prime, and bottle? Why didn't we get the explosion refermentation?

I am imagining this brew now and it sounds delicious:mug: Without any previous gravity readings, it seem difficult to comment. I'm not sure what additional passion fruit puree would add to gravity points. In addition, you already have alcohol by products after 2 weeks which throw off any SG reading.

What was your "previous research" that led you to believe another bout of active fermentation?

Did the previous researches rack to a secondary before adding passion fruit, or did they add it to the primary directly?

The beer turned out delicious! The lilikoi flavor was a little strong, but after the first few sips to acclimate one's taste buds, it was delightful.

While I still don't understand the relative lack of fermentation reaction after dosing the beer with fresh fermentables, I can't argue with the results!

Back