Help on a chest freezer that holds 4-6 ball lock cornys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
I've dug through the sizing thread and some other threads too but there is so much conflicting information I figured I'd just make a new thread.

I am looking for a chest freezer that will do 4-6 ball locks on the floor. I realize that 6 will require a bigger freezer. It would be nice if they fit nicely in two rows so space isn't wasted.

I tried to go look around yesterday but it was honestly a waste of time as most stores don't have floor models of these things and they keep them 20 or 30 feet off the ground :)

Thanks in advance.

I have a 7.2 cu ft that can take 4 cornies on the lower floor and two on the compressor hump if you build a collar for it.

I got it at Lowes and used a 10% coupon you get in the moving kits from the post office.

That or GE...it's really sad that I can't remember. My 5 cu ft fermentation freezer is a Holiday. At least I remember that.

I have a 7.0 cu. ft. GE that holds 4 ball lock cornys on the floor as well as my 5 lbs. CO2 tank, also on the floor. I went with a collarless, coffin style keezer for my build, so 4 is my maximum, unless I used a 3 1/2 gallon keg on the hump. I'm reserving the space on the hump to put an Ale Pale for lagering, if I want to attempt it. If you were to put a 6" collar on the thing, you could fit another keg or two on the hump. I'm not sure if you are going to be able to find a smaller profile chest freezer (7 to 8.4 cu.ft.) that will hold the kegs in 2 rows without staggering them. You may have to go up to a 14 cu.ft. for that.

Are you going with a collar style keezer with the taps mounted through the collar or are you building a coffin style keezer like mine, with the taps mounted on a coffin on top?

I'm definitely going to do a collar. I think I've settled on the Danby Designer 10.2 I called Danby and got some internal measurements and it will fit 6 on the floor comfortably without a huge depth.

I have the Lowe's Frigidaire black 7.2cu (I think) chest freezer that holds 5 ball locks, 3 on the floor with 2 on the hump with a 2x8 collar. I've been real happy with it thus far.

I definitely will as it looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig :) It's ordered so should have it next week!

Latest posts

Back